iPhone 5 Glass Only Repair

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by rentalanimal, Mar 14, 2013.

1. rentalanimal macrumors member

rentalanimal

Looking to DIY my iPhone 5 screen as my toddler shattered it. Anyone have any experience replacing just the glass? The price of the glass+lcd is still way above the price of going the Apple Store replacement route. I have tools [screw drivers, heatgun, etc] and used to be a certified Apple Tech [Genius].

2. iRepairParts macrumors regular

iRepairParts

I highly recommend against replacing just the glass.

The LCD and digitizer glass are fused together during the manufacturing process with a high strength optical adhesive. Separating the LCD from the glass without damaging the fragile LCD is nearly impossible. Even if you do get them separated, you have to find a way to clean off all of the adhesive residue left on the LCD. AND, if you get as far as cleaning all of the adhesive off, there is no way that you will be able to fuse the LCD and digitizer back together; so you risk getting debris such as dust, dirt, etc between the LCD and glass digitizer.

3. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

And missing the even bigger point, the LCD is actually embedded in the glass of the iPhone 5 so you wouldn't be able to separate it without ruining both entirely.

4. iRepairParts macrumors regular

iRepairParts

Yup, I forgot to throw that in there. That should put the nail in the coffin for trying to separate them!

5. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

If he can manage it then I think he deserves an award :D

6. TechSavvyAZ macrumors newbie

Impossible? Nothing is....

This repair is actually quite possible. As a matter of fact, our shop does them quite often. It IS a VERY tedious task, but definitely not impossible. With the right tools, patience, and understanding of the phone mechanics and fragility, this repair can be completed by repairing just the glass. In regards to the amount of adhesive left on the LCD after glass removal, this can be broken down by using goo gone/orange glo and a toothbrush. Brush a very light amount of solution onto the lcd in a circular motion taking great care not to touch the edges of the LCD as this WILL leave an oily looking residue under the digitizer and it's not very appealing to stare at. Something else that we have learned is that you can actually remove the TOP LAYER of plastic off of the digitizer/lcd combo, leaving the screen looking near perfect. Bear in mind...there is a layer underneath the clear plastic that looks almost like a tint. If this is removed, the phone typically will not work anymore. So, take great care in making sure that you only peel up the plastic layer. Adhere the new glass to the plastic frame, lay the LCD behind it, bolt on the LCD backplate, and install. Most vendors provide 2 strips of adhesive with the new glass. You can apply this to hold the glass down, taking care not to cover the sensors or the camera. OR google iphone 5 UV Bonding Solution. This is the more technical option, but definitely hides blemishes on the screen better. Youtube iPhone 5 glass only repair, it's worth a try instead of spending 200.00 on a new assembly. Enjoy! Hope this helps.

-Tech Savvy

7. jaenicky macrumors member

Well after reading that 200 apple charges doesn't seem that much anymore lol