Iphone 5 Glass: Scratches or Imperfections?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mackandproud, Jan 20, 2013.

1. mackandproud macrumors 6502

I just took my IP5 out of an otterbox defender case (don't want to take about that ****** case right now).

Looking at it in normal light, the glass looks perfect.

However, I took a flashlight to it, and inspected the screen carefully. It appears as if there is a definite grain? structure to the glass, it looks like there are tons of tiny little particles spread throughout the glass, which I assume is perfectly normal for a glass screen.

However, 1 or 2 of those particles look a bit larger and brighter than the rest. I'm wondering if this is normal variation in the shape and reflectiveness of the glass particle structure, or are these tiny scratches that may have been caused by the otterbox case?

I'm a bit upset by the fact that the case is almost certainly not new. This is my first iphone and first smartphone actually, so instead of cleaning the back of the screen 'protector' as I should have, I simply installed the case, possibly leaving the screen vulnerable to minute damage.

Again, my first phone, so I don't know if these dots are glass grain or 'scratches' or what.

2. mackandproud thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, after 600 views I was hoping at least one person would be able to offer up some insight into this issue. I would appreciate it a lot; I'm an iphone newb and quite frankly, have not inspected glass this carefully before. :)

3. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

More likely to be scratches than glass grain.

4. mackandproud thread starter macrumors 6502

If these are scratches, I don't know who or what's responsible. It could be the phone case, or it could be a manufacturer defect.

Is it possible to request a phone exchange within 30 days if it is somehow determined that this was a manufacturer's issue?

5. Brian Y macrumors 68040

It wont be a manufacturing issue.

If anything, it was probably dust etc trapped between the screen protector layer of the OtterBox and the screen. However, if you cannot see it unless you shine a flashlight on it - why are you worried?

6. mackandproud thread starter macrumors 6502

Practically speaking, it is not an issue. However, I've only had the phone for about a week, and it's only been out of the case for a few seconds, so any damage at all, or even the appearance of it, is surprising to me.

7. andyx3x macrumors 65816

This is a known issue with Otterbox cases.

Anytime in the past I've attempted to buy an iPhone off of Craigslist and someone says that it's in perfect condition because it's been in an Otterbox case, I just laugh.

8. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Try not to re-sell it to anyone with a flashlight.

9. mackandproud thread starter macrumors 6502

LOL!

Thanks for your feedback everyone.

I just discovered a couple of more scratches around the charger port. Easily visible, even without a flashlight. 4 possibilities:

-using the lightning port (the connector hitting the case first before going in the port)

-again, the otterbox case, with the rubber flap port covers rubbing against and abrading the finish during install or just normal use.

-it was there from day one (unlikely?)

Anyway, I just thought I'd get more than a week, week and a half with a blemish free phone, esp. being careful using a case and all. :/

10. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

I found the screen a lot tougher than than previous phones. However I did get a very small scratch but it is really hard to see unless you catch in the right light. The bezel on the other hand is a joke, I kept it in a case and it still got marked up, terrible design decision...

11. mackandproud thread starter macrumors 6502

I was arrogant enough to call people who complained about scratches OCD. I thought it was the consumer's fault in most every case.

Now, I'm having to eat some crow as I am experiencing the very same problems I thought the rare exception, despite babying the phone.

This is embarrassing. Live and learn. I pretty much figured there'd be a learning curve with my first smartphone, so here we go.

12. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

I have the same issue with mine - it's been in a Piel Frama case, never dropped and babied and like the OP, i have lots of tiny little irregular scratches that you can only see as they catch the light - the screen needs to be very clean to see them.

It's not something that a Genius would take seriously and I guess I'll not do anything about it but the iPhone 5 screen in terms of durability or manufacturing purity (this would seem to be the manufacturing or assembly process) is not a patch on Samsung or HTC. I have phones from both with Gorilla Glass 2 and it's in a different league.

One thing I noticed about my iPhone 5 is that the screen is more difficult to get clean than iPhone 4/4S so it may be a coating issue.

13. ATC macrumors 6502a

I must be really lucky then. I just took out my iP5 from its defender case, it's been in there since the phone was bought. Inspected the thing under a bright LED flashlight, the phone is as flawless as it was out of the box (both the glass and metal). :cool:

14. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

Actually when I look at the them very closely I'm not convinced that it's not minute alloy shavings.