iPhone 5 Hairline Crack

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by phillies262834, Dec 31, 2012.

1. phillies262834 macrumors member

On Christmas I received an iPhone 5 as a gift. Today, however, I noticed a small, barely noticeable, fracture in the bottom left on the bezel (seen below.) Earlier this morning I was shoveling snow and had it in my upper jacket pocket. I came back inside and checked to see if I had any new messages, then placed it back into the pocket. About an hour later I was cleaning the front glass when I noticed the crack. I never bumped into anything and had never dropped it before then. I am thinking that there was a manufacturing defect in the glass, then after being exposed to the mildly cold (just above freezing) then back to room temperature caused it to fracture. It is still under warranty and was wondering if that would be covered.
    [​IMG]

2. phillies262834 thread starter macrumors member

3. JPNFRK7 macrumors 6502

JPNFRK7

Im sure it would be covered so long as there are not any scratches in the area of the crack. That would be a pretty odd place for it to crack if it had been dropped. I would try and get a replacement.

4. phillies262834 thread starter macrumors member

Yep, it's spotless everywhere else. I might try to take it in today.

5. phillies262834 thread starter macrumors member

Update

No luck.

Took it to the King of Prussia Apple store and the guy claimed that it was a scratch, then later called it a "scuffle."

I tried to replicate it on an old iPod 2nd gen., and could not produce a scratch that deep. I still have no idea where it came from or how it got there, but anything can happen.

6. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

That sucks the Apple Store dude couldn't help you out, has it gotten any worse since that last time you brought it in to get looked at?

7. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Tbh, if you'd have gone in saying how you'd broken it, they may have done it. But if you go in there saying how you think the crack is a manufacturing defect, you're gonna pay.

Take responsibility for your own phone.

8. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Waiting 3 months to take it in didn't help your cause (based on posting date).

9. phillies262834, Apr 4, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013

phillies262834 thread starter macrumors member

I can honestly say I have no idea where the "scratch" came from. If I knew that I had done it, I would never bother taking it to the store.

@TyPod It looks the same way it does in the original picture.

10. phillies262834 thread starter macrumors member

Update #2

Today I had a scheduled appointment because of WiFi connection issues. Before even asking about the issues, the Genius noticed the crack and began imputing information to his iPad. He then went to the drawers in the back and returned with a white box replacement. He said the WiFi was a software issue, but the crack was a defect. I was very pleased with the way the handle Genius Bar appointments and the immediate actions they take. I'm just hoping it won't happen again.

11. maliu macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the follow up and the happy ending. :)

12. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

Glad they replaced it. Now stick a protective film over it and get a case.