Iphone 5 Headphones with samsung S4

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by ryhno45, May 17, 2013.

1. ryhno45 macrumors regular

Hello all!

I would like to do some surgery to a pair of apple earpods and samsung galaxy s4 headphones.

My friend made the switch, but absolutely loves the earpods. (Switching to other headphones have not gone well with him, and he has tried many!)

So ultimately I would like to use a full functional Apple Earpods headphones with a Samsung Galaxy S4.

I would like to "cut" the ends of the Earpods and replace with the S4's headphone end/connector.

My question is, has anyone done this yet? Is this as easy as just switching and properly rewiring within?

If anyone has a guide, I'd appreciate it!

P.S. The friend is pretty much stuck on Apple Earpods. It seems any other is just not good enough :confused::apple:

Thank you!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I question how Apple earpods are the be all end all for him, but the best you can do is hope once you slice into those wires that they all line up. Whether they'll function even after matching all wires up, is another story. I have taken Apple in-ears and sliced the broken jack off to replace with Apple ear buds (with mic) and it did work, but I'm looking at two Apple products, not Apple and whatever Samsung used. At this point you just have to try. If you mess it up buy more earpods I guess.

3. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

4. ryhno45 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the response!

Apple to Apple seems to be ok. But your right, the issue becomes whether or not Apple to Samsung would operate. I have not seen any video of the headphones being cut yet nor a schematic of the insides. It would be nice if there was just an additional plug to fix all of this :)

----------

Thanks for the video. I guess my next issue would be if they wires "match-up" with each other. :confused:

I'll continue trying to find some schematic online. If not, I guess I will cut and document it for all to see. (Although I doubt many will be interested)

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think he thinks in order to have the functionality of that little rocker button (volume etc) on the cord that you need to do this. I am not so sure I buy that and I don't know if replacing the jack would give him the results he desires.

6. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Each manufacturer may use different color wires. Use an digital multi-meter. Also, no need to cut the jack off anything. Cut earpods off Apples, cut earbuds off other set, splice, solder, heat shrink or tape and done.

7. polocanada macrumors newbie

Yeh, it's an old thread, but.. If you buy one of these adapters for any headset with remote to use with iphone, the adapter should also work backwards to connect an Apple headset to Samsung device. Has anybody tried it yet?