iPhone 5 home button issues

dinosaur1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2007
My home button makes a clicking sound after I press it as the button is coming back up. Anyone else have this issue? Would this be considered an Apple Store genius bar visit or should I call Apple directly?

dinosaur1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2007
Does it work?
I have 2 other iP5's on my account. The other 2 do not make the same clicking sound like mine does. I called Apple, they tell me to wait about a week or so and go in to get a replacement.

MacFan782040

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2003
Scranton, PA
My home button makes a clicking sound after I press it as the button is coming back up. Anyone else have this issue? Would this be considered an Apple Store genius bar visit or should I call Apple directly?
Yes! I was just searching to see if anyone else had this issue. It's a small thing, but it's driving me nuts! It's like nails on a chalkboard...

It almost quick "double clicks" when I press it more to the right. If I try to put more pressure on the left of the home button, it doesn't do it as much.

I can sometimes make the problem go away randomly, by pressing it a bunch of times. Then the home button makes no weird popping or clicking noises when pressed, only a firm click. That is how it should be.

Maybe it is loose or something, but it is honestly driving me crazy.

Maybe I should call about a replacement?

dinosaur1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2007
I am trying to debate whether or not to take it in or not. Apple may give us refurbs or iPhones with other issues. Wouldn't they have to give us brand new ones where we would see them take it out of the plastic? I just don't want to be stuck with a defective device later on with a button I can't use.

MacFan782040

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2003
Scranton, PA
I am trying to debate whether or not to take it in or not. Apple may give us refurbs or iPhones with other issues. Wouldn't they have to give us brand new ones where we would see them take it out of the plastic? I just don't want to be stuck with a defective device later on with a button I can't use.
I'm in the same boat as you. I have had zero issues with scuffing or scratches on my black iPhone 5. I don't want a refurb... mine is perfect except the home button clicking annoyance. And like you said, I don't want it to be an issue down the road. Also, I put an invisible shield screen cover on my phone...I don't think I can transfer it off to another... so am I screwed with that too?

jcliden

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
San Diego
I know exactly what you mean. The button is different from the iPhone 4 one. After I press down on the home button and as I let go, I could feel it. :(