Iphone 5 home button non resonsive

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by abz1981, Apr 25, 2014.

1. abz1981 macrumors 65816

Hi all

I have noticed sometimes my ip5 home button is becoming non responsive. It is very rare when it does this. I have an appointment with the genius bar today. Are they likely to just simply replace the button? Also on the right hand side screen of my iPhone 5, on a white background. I notice some sort of yellow colour on it. But I don't notice this on any other backgrounds. I have had my iPhone for over a year now with APP. Do you think they will replace the screen for this, or a replacement handset?

thanks

2. Charadis macrumors 6502a

Unlike the 5s, the screen on the 5 can be replaced at the Genius bar. Based on the symptoms you've described (ie, yellowing on portion of screen and nonresponsive Home button), a screen swap could solve those problems. The Home button assembly is integrated on the display bezel, so a full phone replacement could be avoided; it may be the Genius' call on whether to do that or not.

Note, in the event your handset is no longer covered under warranty, it is cheaper doing a screen replacement that a whole phone swap (I'm not sure if they've updated the price on just the screen, but it used to be $149 opposed to $229, plus applicable tax. I see on AppleCare website, it is now $269 for OOW??).

If you definitely prefer a complete phone swap without uncertainty of just a screen swap, you could request service from AppleCare online, and they would be happy to accommodate you. Good luck on getting your 5 fixed! I still have mine, and don't regret trading it out for the 5s. :) Sent from my MacBook Pro.

3. eddiec312, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014

eddiec312 macrumors 6502

eddiec312

My girlfriends IP5 had this issue a few months back. She would have to press the home button like 3-4 times for it to work sometimes.

She took it into a Genius and they replaced her whole phone for her.

4. abz1981 thread starter macrumors 65816

Hey

The genius gave me a new iPhone 5 swapped it with my old one. So am happy with that :). Am still loving my iPhone 5 too. Not planing on upgrading from it. It does my just fine for my needs.

5. Charadis macrumors 6502a

Congrats on the swap, glad to hear it all worked out for you. :) Same here, I'm interested in what the next iPhone will look like, but I'm still loving my 5 like I got it yesterday. Sent from my iPhone 5.