iPhone 5 housing replacement

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kieran9810, Apr 2, 2014.

1. kieran9810 macrumors member

Dec 23, 2013
    I'm thinking about getting my iPhone 5 housing changed to champagne gold, I was just wondering how common is this, I was gonna just take it to a phone repair shop and see if they do it, has anyone gotten this done before?
  2. ET iPhone Home, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014

ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Oct 5, 2011
    Orange County, California USA
    There are places in the mall that do this. I was planning the same. The cost is about $120-$140 for just the back plate. Have you seen ANOSTYLE? It might be less for the 5. Anostyle is pricey. The one's in the mall replace the housing allowing you to keep the original, whereas Anostyle, they anodize the original parts front and back.

Because you want the champagne gold as on the 5S, I doubt it will work. The 5 and 5S housings are different as it was explained to me.
  3. merrickdrfc macrumors 6502

Jan 8, 2011
    If you mean getting it changed to the 5s champagne gold case it can't be done, the 5s and 5 are different internally. Not sure if any repair shops etc. will have custom iPhone housings, and id imagine it'd be pretty expensive due to the complexity of everything having to come out. Not worth the risk or money IMO. Better off selling your 5 and buying a 5s if you want the colour that much
  4. eyoungren macrumors P6

Aug 31, 2011
    ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
    This ANOSTYLE thing. I wonder if the Flat Black option is a darker black than the black (slate) Apple used?

I'd be interested if that were the case. I have a black iPhone 5 and while the back is "Slate" as Apple called it, it's actually a gray. If I could make it an actual black that'd be cool. But if the process simply reapplies the same color my iPhone 5 came with then probably not.
  5. kieran9810 thread starter macrumors member

Dec 23, 2013
    There's a website called mendmyi (I'm in the UK) and they will either use the same method apple use to anodise your current housing, or will change the whole housing but it's quite pricey. I can get the housing on eBay for £30 but I want a professional to replace it for me, so I was going to just ask at a repair shop to see if they could do it for a charge ( hopefully less than £145 as that's what mendmyi charge).