iPhone 5, HSPA+ and AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bartboy919, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Bartboy919 macrumors member

Bartboy919

I have been doing a lot of research in the last few days regarding the iPhone 5, HSPA+ and AT&T, which I would like to throw out here, and also have a few unresolved question that I hope some would be able to answer.

First off, from what I can tell in my various searches on Android Forums regarding the HTC Inspire 4G, if you were grandfathered into an unlimited data plan, you can keep it if you upgrade to a phone that is "4G" (Which is going to be HSPA+ until "later this this year" when LTE is up and running).

Second, the Verizon iPhone 4 happens to have a chip in it that would theoretically allow HSPA+ data usage, but because it's a CDMA phone this cannot really be utilized in any way. This paves the way for the iPhone 5 to have such a chip on the GSM side of things.

Lastly, AT&T is calling both HSPA+ and LTE "4G", which, according to the ITU, is now officially considered 4G. Personally, I think this is some BS, but they are the authority in this situation.

Here are the questions.

We can reasonably assume that the iPhone 5 will have HSPA+ in it due to it's presence in the Verizon iPhone 4. I personally think that it will be, but, just like the radio receiver in the iPhone 3GS and the radio receiver/transmitter (yes, you read that right) in the iPhone 4, will it be utilized? Also, why the hell don't I have a radio in my iPhone, and it would be kinda cool to transmit my music to my car stereo with that built in chip...

If the iPhone 5 does utilize HSPA+, will apple brand this as a 4G phone? I'm sure AT&T will push to have the bragging rights to be the only one's who have a "4G iPhone" for about a year, until the iPhone 6 comes out and works with Verizon's LTE network. This obviously puts apple in a hard place, because to maintain that both phones are functionally similar, they cannot call it the iPhone 4G, because they will not be able to have a Verizon iPhone 4G. Any thoughts on this naming conundrum? Apple could negate this in a very bad way by no even allowing HSPA+ on the new iPhone for AT&T to avoid the whole 4G branding problem. Maybe they will maintain staggered releases, and not unveil a 4G verizon iPhone until February of next year (that would really suck for you guys who are on, or want to be on, team red).

My last question is, do I have too much time on my hands?

2. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

As to whether you have too much time on your hands, not necessarily. You had a question and researched for a possible answer. I can imagine AT&T pressuring Apple to brand the latest iPhone as 4G capable if it supports HSPA+ but it doesn't mean Apple will bend. In all honesty I think Apple calls the shots just about everywhere.

3. kevintech macrumors 6502

True story. Do you see any iPhones being branded? Do iPhones come with bloatware? I love the fact that my iPhone isn't an AT&T phone. Apple would never allow that crap to happen

4. mpossoff macrumors 68020

What's interesting is in the last couple of weeks I've noticed sognificBt change in my iPhones performance in regards to speed. I wonder if it has to do with ATT hspa+?

Can the ATT version benefit from hspa+ in it's current state?

5. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

No, but the speed increase you see is likely from AT&T (finally) upgrading the backhaul to/from their HSPA/HSPA+ towers to actually make use of the wireless bandwidth available.

6. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

It's an AT&T phone nevertheless.

Whether it's visually branded or not, your phone came locked to AT&T, just as many iPhones are locked to their carrers around the world.

Yes, you can usually unlock it yourself, but that's not the point. You can remove logos from other phones or cover them with cases, and remove bloatware if you wish, too.

7. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Wow that's great news! My iPhone is seriously lightening fast now. I mean I compared it to VZW iPhone and really it's no contest. Prior I would have said ATT and VZW were equal but now maybe equal in voice but speed...

8. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

Too bad the auto-correct works for *****, lol! :p

9. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

You should remember that there are dozens of carriers who carry the iPhone outside of the US. Are these carriers launching their HSPA+/LTE networks around the same time that ATT/VZW are? It's doubtful.

I doubt they would brand it as an "iPhone 4G", it might just be called iPhone 5 and be compatible with HSPA+ and/or LTE.