iPhone 5 iCloud Activation locked. What hardware to replace?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by marcajustice, Oct 11, 2014.

1. marcajustice macrumors newbie

Hey all.. I purchased an iPhone 5 for cheap, and when I restored the firmware, the initial setup was locked by Apple ID (iCloud?). so now I'm stuck with a brick instead of a useable phone and it's really irritating.

What hardware needs to be replaced so I can activate the phone? logic board?

please help.. I really hate spending any more money on this, but I already have $120 invested :mad:

2. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

Sell it for parts or get your money back.

Nothing you can do.

3. Avi30na macrumors newbie

You bought an iphone 5.....for 120$.....and you were expecting nothing would be wrong with it?

4. Inframan macrumors 6502

Inframan

Not gonna happen. Enjoy your paperweight or drop the phone off at Apple to verify its not stolen.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Hmmmm, replacing the logic board might actually work, because that's like getting a new phone -- but good luck finding a working logic board, and good luck replacing it without breaking any other parts. I'm pretty sure some of the parts are soldered on to each other.

6. CEmajr macrumors 601

You'll need a new logic board.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It sounded like such a great deal but....
    Total waste of money#

8. Lylyluvda916 macrumors regular

It amazes me that even Apple has released activation lock for stolen/lost devices people still buy them even though its worthless unless you legitimately purchased the device.Buying a stolen device for cheap is not worth the time and effort.

Instead of trying to cut corners and save some money, why not pay a little more for s device that will work?

9. saltd macrumors 6502a

saltd

I'd just throw it in your sock drawer and get a phone you can actually use. Don't throw good money after bad to surgically revive the phone. That might not work, and will likely just be a frustrating experience.

If a deal looks like it's too good to be true, it probably is...

10. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Probably best to try and return to rightful owner.

And wash your hands. Thoroughly.

Many of those activation locked iPhone's have more than a little bit of red on them, and the sociopaths who "acquired" things like that for you tend to do a poor job at sanitation.