IPhone 5 into 2015

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mtneer, Sep 9, 2014.

1. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I have a launch day iPhone 5 coming out of contract in 10 days. I am now thinking of keeping it for another year until the 6S (or whatever it's called) comes out next year.

What is the future outlook for the iPhone 5 into 2015? Given that Apple is still selling the 5C (internally same as the 5); can I expect apps to work reasonably on the iPhone 5 for a year more? I know, I won't get cutting edge performance, but I can settle for an extra millisecond or two here and there. I'm also not planning to upgrade to iOS 8 to preserve performance.

2. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

the 5 will work fine for at least 2-3 more years unless that .05 secs mean something to u

3. Abba 701 macrumors regular

I also have the 5 since December 2012.If I upgrade now I would probably want the iPhone 6 plus.but yes it works pretty fine still.i don't really want a contract and don't have $800 or whatever to spend right now.

4. mtneer thread starter macrumors 68020

mtneer

OK thanks.. I think the battery will give up the ghost much before 2 or 3 years. But that is still a $80 replacement verus hundreds for a new phone.

5. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

How's it holding up? As you liked?

6. mtneer thread starter macrumors 68020

mtneer

The iPhone 5 is going strong - as an iPod in my car. The battery has considerably deteriorated, but it doesn't matter anymore since it is plugged into the car. I finally got the 6S+ on launch a couple of months ago.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

My son has a 5, his only complaint is that the camera isn't as good as the one on my 6 plus.

8. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

My wife is still rocking the 5 and will until the 7 comes out. She loves it and has never had any problems.

9. se95dah macrumors member

The 5 is a beautiful phone that runs iOS 9 very well. The main thing I would miss if I had to go back from my 6 to the 5 would be Touch ID. I don't use Apple Pay and the larger screen size is not important to me. I only upgraded because my wife wanted my old phone, otherwise I would still be using the 5 now. If you're happy with the 5, maybe treat it to a new battery and enjoy it for at least another year.

10. Charadis macrumors 6502a

It was a good run- my 5 has finally retired from daily use, too, after I got a 6s this Christmas. I still feel like the 5 is a more premium built phone over the 6/6s design, and has aged well over the years. If the battery wasn't popping out and pushing the display upward, I'd probably still be using it.

I've got a genius appointment this Sunday. Maybe they can do something about it? Would like to keep phone as it is on iOS 8.1.2, jail broken and can still play Bioshock.

11. ATC macrumors 6502a

My wife's iPhone 5 is still the original from launch and mine was replaced in the first year (a little over 2 years old now) and our batteries have noticeably deteriorated recently. Mine would get down to ~30% and in cold temperatures would suddenly die.

We just got the batteries replaced on both phones (not through Apple) and we were shown the old batteries on both had started to bulge but thankfully no screen or any other physical damage had been done yet.

I had forgotten how good my battery life was on the 5. It's breathed new life into our phones that we can now comfortably wait for the 7. Here's how it is after the battery replacement (running iOS 9.2 with everything on and three push email accounts):

[​IMG]