iPhone 5 iOS 6 and AirPrint

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by bw1128, Nov 30, 2012.

1. bw1128 macrumors 6502a

so i just got my new iphone5 and went out and bought the hp7520 printer. i thought i could just use airprint anywhere, meaning outside my home wifi. is there anyway to do that, or do i have to once outside my wifi at my house, use the hp eprint app to print something at my house? i just like the simplicity of the oh i like that, click AirPrint, and im done.

2. karter16 macrumors member

Airprint is only designed to work over your LAN, not via the internet/3G. I suppose that technically Airprint via VPN *might* be possible but I don't know of any such implementation.

Cheers,

Matt

3. bw1128 thread starter macrumors 6502a

boo! well thanks. hopefully they can implement that soon.

4. big samm macrumors 65816

I think hp have a service like that, its called eprint... Check it out it might me exactly what you're asking for...

5. bw1128 thread starter macrumors 6502a

it is but i would like it to go through the native AirPrint, so you dont have to find an article to print and then go into the eprint app and go back the the site then print, instead you just tap print from the native airprint. make sense?

6. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

It does make since, but why do you need to print if you're not physically next to the printer. If you have a Safari article you want printed, just leave it on a tab for when you get next to the printer. If it's crucial to print now, then ePrint is a great alternative.

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Always research first:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4356