iPhone 5, iOS 6, Personal Hotspot Cuts Out

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Josh Kahane, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Josh Kahane macrumors 6502

Hi

I have an iPhone 5 running iOS 6 and I tether it to my Macbook Pro using the Personal Hotspot setting. I do this just over USB directly into the Macbook, not WiFi or otherwise.

From time to time, the phone will continue to say 'Personal Hotspot: 1 Connection' at the top of the screen in blue, however I will loose my internet connection. My iPhone always has full signal and I get very good 3G reception where I am.

Is it a known issue that the iPhone cuts out personal hotspot connections? Any help or clues appreciated as this drives me nuts. I either have to switch the hotspot on and off or unplug and re-plugin my iPhone to restore the internet connection.

Hope you can help, any way of fixing this? Thanks.

2. hausjam macrumors member

I don't have an answer, but the same thing happens to me. I have a Macbook that I have tethered to my iphone using wifi hotspot, and everytime I have used it, at some point, the connection stops working, even though the macbook still shows it is connected to personal hotspot. The only fix is to disconnect and reconnect.

On another note, my daughter's ipod touch 4th gen won't automatically connect to my iphone. I have to bring up the hotspot settings page on my iphone, and the wifi settings on her ipod and tap on my iphone on the list. Then it stays connected indefinitely as long as the ipod doesn't lock. If it does, I have to repeat the whole process. Which is utterly ridiculous. But we don't use it that often so I just live with it. My wife's iphone 4s, otoh, connects automatically to my personal hotspot every time I enable it on my phone.

I know I am just ranting, but apple's products are very flaky these days. Very disappointing.

3. jamshid macrumors newbie

Yup, me too -- falky wifi Personal Hotspot on iPhone 5 / iOS 6.x, same thing on my old iPhone 4S / iOS 5. My Macbook Pro shows connected to wifi but data just stops flowing periodically. Usually the phone itself has internet connection.

I'm trying a bluetooth connection now, seems to be more stable and not noticeably slower.

PS: I also usually have the problem where my Macbook doesn't see the iPhone wifi unless I turn Personal Hotspot on then off.

4. nkaufman macrumors member