iPhone 5 iOS 6 vs iOS 7 GM smoothness

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by oplix, Sep 14, 2013.

1. oplix, Sep 14, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2013

oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

I installed iOS 7 GM today on my iphone. It's certainly pretty to look at. I find it smooth enough to where if I never used iOS 6 I wouldn't be the wiser.

However, iOS 7 is not as smooth as iOS 6. While it is very close, most animations when dissected and looked at closely are not as fluid as iOS 6. I'd like to point out that this isn't necessarily my opinion or bias but facts.

For most people it won't be an issue and they will be happy to enjoy all of the nice new eye candy and features of iOS 7 but I just wanted to point this out.

2. SA Spyder macrumors regular

iOS 6 wasn't as smooth as iOS 5. 5 wasn't as smooth as 4. And so on.

Is it really surprising that more features = slower OS?

Not to mention Apple's a champ at the concept of planned obsolescence.

3. mackandproud macrumors 6502

The nitpicking is getting ridiculous. I swear to god, if one of you were lucky enough to win the lottery, you'd be complaining about receiving a million dollar payout in 20's instead of 100's.

4. r3ac7 macrumors member

OP, I think you're over exaggerating. I haven't had a single issue in terms of smoothness in iOS 7 GM.

5. oplix thread starter macrumors 65816

oplix

There's no exaggeration, it's stating facts.

6. Purant macrumors 6502

On which device?

On an iPhone 4 iOS 7 is definitely less smooth than 6.

It's not unusable, but it's definitely less smooth.

It's an old device and all that, I know.

7. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

People's complaints about iOS 7 on the iPhone have very little to do with speed. iOS 7 really isn't any slower on the iPhone 5 than iOS 6, but the longer animations make it seem consistently slower. Apple has been a master at making sure that iOS feels fast, so it's curious that Apple has chosen these longer animations.

Now, the iPhone 4 and all iPad models? Yes, iOS 7 is most definitely slower on those devices.

8. Yun0 Suspended

Yun0

i can see differences over 60fps 60-80 that difference i can see easily in gaming. ios 7 on iphone 5 is the same as ios 6 was & ill be skipping 5s this time cause rogers is demanding me to change from my $58/m 300mins with my10 canada wide unlimited long dist + 5gb data ($-10 cause of a discount from a previous issue so $48) to a plan with a min of $60 to be able to upgrade to anything, all of their current plans i loose a ton of data and pay more, or pay $40 more for the same data with less mins, so im skipping this time.

luckily the iphone 5 is a good device to sit at cause if anyone noticed

iphone 2g = survived iphone os 2 & 3
    iphone 3g = survived iphone os 3 & 4

**MAJOR PROCESSING POWER SPEED BUMP WITH 3GS**
    iphone 3gs = survived ios 4, 5 & 6
    iphone 4 = survived ios 5, 6 & 7

**MAJOR PROCESSING POWER SPEED BUMP WITH 4S**
    iphone 4s = survived ios 6, 7 & probably 8, maybe 9
    iphone 5 = survived ios 7, probably 8 & 9 & maybe even 10

starting at the 3gs they had enough power to survive 3 major ios upgrades over 2, as the A4 in the iphone 4 was the last single core thats still going well for its age, the dual core A5 in the 4S may just be the start of devices surviving 4 major ios upgrades. while the A6 in the 5 is a refinement of the A5 & with more speed/better graphics it will surely last even longer. the 5S is still a dual core even though its 64bit, most likely the iphone 6 next year may have a quad core, being the next major speed bump, like the 3gs & 4s were.

a iphone 5 is going to do VERY well for a long time.

9. r3ac7 macrumors member

I was talking about iPhone 5, since the OP's signature states that he has an iPhone 5 (which I also have, and cannot see any difference in terms of smoothness in iOS 7 compared to iOS 6).

It's obvious that the 3 year old iPhone 4 will have problems with the latest iOS. The good thing though is that it is still, as you said, usable, unlike the iPhone 3G with iOS 4, for example.

10. bmunge macrumors regular

I have a 5 and have been using the beta through every release. I don't see what the OP is talking about and just saying "it's facts" isn't much of an argument.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

this doesn't really have much to do with performance. The extra fading and longer animations are there by design for eye-candy purposes but come at the price of some loss of responsiveness of the phone (in particular when compared to previous iOS versions). It's more of a form over function matter than anything else.

12. Krissypantz2828 macrumors 6502a

Krissypantz2828

I agree with the OP, they are facts. Whether its due to hardware, software, or even Apple intentionally making it this way, it is still slower. Maybe by a fraction but I notice it and am not exactly impressed with it, but am learning to live with it.

13. SA Spyder macrumors regular

Well the OP was bout smoothness. But yeah iOS7's stupid animations (and iOS being a frankly boring, dumbed down OS) are probably why I went back to Android. I will not take part in any more of Apple's terrible decisions.

14. mohammed-eg macrumors member

Take this fact IOS 6 is faster and smother than IOS 5 that's my experiance even when ios was in beta procees it was faster but with some bugs in certain areas

15. munakib macrumors 6502

True. iOS6 felt more optimized on my iPhone 4S and 5. iOS7 is just full of resource hogging animations and translucency which was unnecessary - Optimize it for hardware, free up the resources on our older phones Apple instead of forcing us to upgrade to get a smoother experience.

16. Dreamliner330 macrumors 6502a

I'm on jailbroken 6.1.2, I'm not going anywhere until I see a jailbreak with faster animations for iOS 7. I forgot how slow the default Apple animations are.:eek:

17. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

Apple is? Really? Ever owned an Android device? My iPhone 4 is up to date, which is about 3 years old now. How many 3 year old Samsung phone are running Android 4.2.2?

18. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

I find it mostly OK on my i5 but it still has a lot of glaring faults.

On my iPad is a different story though - it's jerky, crashes a lot and generally feels like a beta and nowhere near a GM. Disappointed.

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

I think you mean Android 4.3 actually, which is the latest (and how many phones from even months ago are running that?).

20. SA Spyder macrumors regular

With Apple, you're truly screwed if they decide to stop supporting your phone. You can't do anything at that point. They also purposefully slow down your device with every new iOS release, and for no reason whatsoever.

With Android, you can just run a simple exe or a market app that roots your phone and gives you custom recovery, then you go nuts with any ROM you want. Pretty sure even a 5 year old Android phone can, through a custom ROM, smoothly run 4.3 just fine.

And don't say warranty blah blah; by the time they stop supporting your phone, your warranty is already done.

Apple purposefully makes iOS run slower on older devices by not bothering to optimize it whatsoever. Google always optimizes Android the best they can and, as a result, a Nexus One from many years back with a single core Snapdragon can and does run 4.3 beautifully.

You kind of made a bad move trying to say anything along the lines of "with Android you're screwed." It's quite the opposite if you ever visited a nice little site called XDA where you get practically lifetime support for your device by running a simple program. Whereas with iPhone it's either: a) Apple releases new iOS, runs slower on your one year old device or b) Apple decides to stop support for no reason whatsoever (iPod touch for example), go buy a new device.

I'd say that, thanks to the excellent community that works for everyone at XDA, Android users have it far better off. Not only do we get lifetime support for our devices there, but we also never have to put up with the manufacturer forcing us to use a horrible looking theme that we can't change with horrible long animations that kill workflow (lol iOS 7). On the contrary, we just flash a new ROM in seconds and have a totally different phone in our hands. Choice is what matters, and at least we have it.

21. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

True, but it only came out about a month ago. It's one of many reasons why I hated Android.

22. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

Is there such thing as a 5 year old Android phone , lol. ( and no it wouldn't run android 4.3 smoothly :) ). And from what I've seen on YouTube, iOS 7 runs perfectly fine on iPhone 5 (animations are just slightly longer by design, and they are as smooth as they can be). It runs great on 4s as well. If some people here are annoyed by slightly longer animations, it's fine, but dont come here and say Apple is slowing down your device on purpose just to force you to buy a new 5s (BTW, animations are exactly the same on 5s and 5).

23. Spacial macrumors 6502

I haven't found a single reason to migrate away from iOS 6. It's working very well & it's very reliable. I have never had the desire for the "latest" unless it offers an advantage for my use. iOS 7 not only looks childish to me, nothing about it is compelling.

24. Holte139 macrumors regular

I've been thinking about this too. I can't help but wonder what Apple means when they say "iPhone 5s is the first 64‑bit smartphone in the world. And iOS 7 was designed with that in mind, built specifically for 64‑bit architecture." If it's going to make that much of a difference, then surely there will be some performance issues on a 32-bit processor? If the 5 doesn't run iOS7 as well as the 5s that is a bit of a poor show I feel, considering the 5 was Apple's flagship phone just a week ago.

25. SA Spyder macrumors regular

Haha please tell me more about how the phone I physically have here isn't running 4.3 smoothly and once you can't, tell me how it's actually a fake Nexus One shell on top of a quad core super phone. Better yet, try going to XDA and blurting out that horribly ignorant armchair Android expert assessment and see what they think.

stand back everyone this expert wields YouTube experience.

iOS 7 runs slower than iOS 6 on my iPhone 5. It's still acceptable, but not anywhere close to iOS 6 snappiness. And that horrible design choice is where I'd install a mod to speed up the dumb animations but oh aw I can't.

No it doesn't. My GF's 4S got even more demolished by iOS 7's terrible "optimization" than my 5 did. Everything takes longer to do, and loading times are worse. But if you're going to base speeds by animation smoothness, then go ahead lol.

The animations aren't "slightly" longer, they're 3x longer. You can't swipe for literally a second and a half after unlocking the phone, whereas with iOS 6 it was pretty much instant. If you like the attention whorish animations, sure that's your taste but its a design choice with which Apple frankly ruined whatever speed iOS once had.

They do slow down devices on purpose. But I guess everyone here has forgiven them for how terribly iOS 4 ran on the 3G despite adding nothing but folders. Or how the 3GS lagged with iOS 6. Or how the 4 lags on iOS 7. Despite the fact that iOS is a simple OS with not a whole lot to do, they somehow figured out a way to make it slow as hell on what's still considered a modern device.