Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Armen

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I know there are tons of threads on this but I'm starting this one anyhow just for visibility.

Background: my iPhone 5 had good battery life in Beta 6 and GM but when I downloaded the public release and updated through iTunes my battery went to hell. I went through the basics of turning off parallax, background refresh blah blah.

Last night I put my phone in DFU mode and did a restore to public release. My battery is way more stable now like it was in Beta 6 and GM.

Note: For those of you who use Tapatalk I think you should know that the app does a auto-refresh every 30min as a default setting. You may want to turn it off.

Yptcn

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Paris
I know there are tons of threads on this but I'm starting this one anyhow just for visibility.

Background: my iPhone 5 had good battery life in Beta 6 and GM but when I downloaded the public release and updated through iTunes my battery went to hell. I went through the basics of turning off parallax, background refresh blah blah.

Last night I put my phone in DFU mode and did a restore to public release. My battery is way more stable now like it was in Beta 6 and GM.

Note: For those of you who use Tapatalk I think you should know that the app does a auto-refresh every 30min as a default setting. You may want to turn it off.

Thank you so much for that tip :)
I was never on any beta , I downloaded OTA when iOS7 came out. As my battery wasn't good anymore , I restored it as new . A long process but worth it!

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
I did the same, which helped my 4S. But it wasn't until I did the Reset all Settings and Reset all Network settings that the lag mostly disappeared (although it wasn't bad before) and my battery life returned to normal.

Funny how you need to research ways just to make it work properly... I'm sure lots of users are suffering poor battery because they don't know any better.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010

GM is the same as the public release so I don't see how it makes a difference to your situation.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
In theory it is the same EXACT build as GM which doesn't explain why the experience changed.

Yes, "the same as" usually means "the same as" where I come from...so yes, I know. A restore might have helped it?,,,hey, I don't know, mine works just fine.

Armen

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Yes, "the same as" usually means "the same as" where I come from...so yes, I know. A restore might have helped it?,,,hey, I don't know, mine works just fine.

I'd believe that but I restored 2 times as NEW and still same results. The DFU mode restore is what fixed it. I don't know how these 2 procedures may be different

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
It seems after all the apps that updated to ios7, battery life became better for me. I restored mine after update to ios7. It was bad but battery life has to attribute to some apps not functioning properly with the new ios7 and draining the phone. So far so good.

tongefactor40

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
I'd believe that but I restored 2 times as NEW and still same results. The DFU mode restore is what fixed it. I don't know how these 2 procedures may be different

Set up as new iPhone, but then do you download your backup from iCloud? i restored from iCloud and the battery is about 40% per hour while being used for standard Internet browsing.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
Honestly I think the only "fix" for battery life is just to leave it a couple of days to settle down. I see a lot of threads suggesting a lot of things from turning off various options, resetting, restoring, wiping etc, but the only consistent thing in people reporting improvements is simply the time that has passed since their update.

We know there's stuff going in the background after the update to migrate and index old data etc, and new stuff to do with remembering locations and optimising background refresh etc... Sure if you wipe your phone or reset settings you may bypass some of that process but of course you also lose out in other ways.

I'm a few days in now and my iPhone 5, with a ton of existing data, and with all the various features like background refresh we're supposed to turn off still on, is easily matching or exceeding my ios 6 battery life now. It's nearly midnight, the phones been off the charger since 7 this morning, and I'm still on 32% - I appreciate everyone's usage is different but for me that's pretty good. And all I've had to do is wait.

Armen

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Set up as new iPhone, but then do you download your backup from iCloud? i restored from iCloud and the battery is about 40% per hour while being used for standard Internet browsing.

I restored as NEW (which means not restore from backup).

webitorgal

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
Honestly I think the only "fix" for battery life is just to leave it a couple of days to settle down. I see a lot of threads suggesting a lot of things from turning off various options, resetting, restoring, wiping etc, but the only consistent thing in people reporting improvements is simply the time that has passed since their update.

We know there's stuff going in the background after the update to migrate and index old data etc, and new stuff to do with remembering locations and optimising background refresh etc... Sure if you wipe your phone or reset settings you may bypass some of that process but of course you also lose out in other ways.

I'm a few days in now and my iPhone 5, with a ton of existing data, and with all the various features like background refresh we're supposed to turn off still on, is easily matching or exceeding my ios 6 battery life now. It's nearly midnight, the phones been off the charger since 7 this morning, and I'm still on 32% - I appreciate everyone's usage is different but for me that's pretty good. And all I've had to do is wait.

IF that's the case, then how do you explain the SUDDEN loss some three days after switching to iOS7? I had battery issues right after downloading, but things were FINE on Thursday and Friday. It's just that it started acting up again on Saturday and hasn't stopped.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
i did a DFU restore as new and see no improvement. on a side note, even after a DFU restore, my 1.5 GB of "other" still remains.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
IF that's the case, then how do you explain the SUDDEN loss some three days after switching to iOS7? I had battery issues right after downloading, but things were FINE on Thursday and Friday. It's just that it started acting up again on Saturday and hasn't stopped.

No idea, maybe a misbehaving app, maybe some other bug in the OS. To be honest I've had similar random battery issues in the past with pretty much every version of IOS. My point is just that a lot of people are updating and then, after noticing poor battery life the next day, jumping straight into "troubleshooting" mode and switching off all the features, resetting, losing data, when actually all they probably need to do is sit tight. As you've found, it did get better (before it got worse again in your case).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.