Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cherryghost82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2015
How is 8.4 on the iPhone 5? I've been running 7.1.2 and lately have been encountering apps crashing left and right - especially safari. never had issues like that before.

is it worth the update?

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
How is 8.4 on the iPhone 5? I've been running 7.1.2 and lately have been encountering apps crashing left and right - especially safari. never had issues like that before.

is it worth the update?
I have an iPhone 5 and whatever they did in 8.4 is causing it to dramatically eat battery life. I don't use and haven't used Apple Music so it's not that which is doing it, which I've heard people complain about using battery life. Thursday and Friday I hit less than 20% easily without using it much and that is a rarity that only usually happens when I am using it for most of the day. I'm really disappointed with this update. I was happy with the initial iOS 8.0-8.3 updates as they didn't seem to affect performance or battery life anywhere near as bad as the previous updates that were 2 years after the models came out. I was holding off buying an iPhone 6 to wait for the iPhone 6s.

If you can, I would suggest updating to 8.3 and leaving it there unless they put out an update to fix the battery drain issue.

cherryghost82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2015
I have an iPhone 5 and whatever they did in 8.4 is causing it to dramatically eat battery life. I don't use and haven't used Apple Music so it's not that which is doing it, which I've heard people complain about using battery life. Thursday and Friday I hit less than 20% easily without using it much and that is a rarity that only usually happens when I am using it for most of the day. I'm really disappointed with this update. I was happy with the initial iOS 8.0-8.3 updates as they didn't seem to affect performance or battery life anywhere near as bad as the previous updates that were 2 years after the models came out. I was holding off buying an iPhone 6 to wait for the iPhone 6s.

If you can, I would suggest updating to 8.3 and leaving it there unless they put out an update to fix the battery drain issue.

that is disappointing. Maybe ill stay on 7 and deal with the app crashes....

how was 8.3? Any noticeable lag issues?

can't wait for the 6s. I've been clinging on to the 5 as well - was a solid workhorse until now.

Reactions: Edgar Spayce

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
You won't be able to upgrade from 7 to 8.3 through Apple it will go right to 8.4 unless you use the api for 8.3

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
that is disappointing. Maybe ill stay on 7 and deal with the app crashes....

how was 8.3? Any noticeable lag issues?

can't wait for the 6s. I've been clinging on to the 5 as well - was a solid workhorse until now.

The iPhone 5 is a decent phone, especially more on iOS 7. You should keep it there for as long as possible.

I use an iPhone 5C, and iOS 8.3 is by far the best iOS 8 version I've used. Very stable, still some occasional lag here but better than all the other versions of iOS 8 (including iOS 8.4). Not as good as 7.1.2, but decent most of the time.

I'm on 8.4 now... Mostly ok, but the new music app still needs alot of polishing. There is half a second delay in almost every action, as well as noticeable lag during animations when choosing music and accessing the now-playing screen. Other than the unrefined music app, everything seems fine to me... for now.

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
Yes iOS 8.0 was slower than 7.1.x. on my iPhone 5. But it is faster on 8.1 than it was 7.1.x. 8.3 and 8.4 are more stable than 8.1 but not much performance difference. I'd recommend making the upgrade to either 8.3 or 8.4

macist3434

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2014
I installed iOS 8.4 by putting in DFU mode and then restoring from iTunes and currently i'm very happy with both the performance and battery life.

Esp. battery life tangibly improved with this release comparing to iOS 8.3 (and previous 8.x).

Performance wise everything seems solid; except one thing: i have a home screen dedicated to folders and in that screen when i slide to bottom to reach search, the frame rate is going down (guess because of the transparency but not sure).

Besides that ui responsiveness, benchmarks and in app performance is very well for this device.

From stability stand point i didn't have any issues for the past week after the update.

Though i dislike the new music app. Too cluttered and UX is not that good.

At the end i don't think you'll regret to upgrade.

But my advice, if it's possible, do a clean install with DFU mode and don't go with your backup to restore, go with setting a new iPhone.

cherryghost82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2015
I have a 2014 rMBP I bought for the continuity/handoff features and i haven't even had the opportunity to really use them with ios7. I'm going to do a clean install tonight and see how it goes. :)

masands

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2010
Yes, the performance is really solid on iOS 8.4. I was trying iOS 9b2 and it reminded me of iOS6. That's how good the performance and battery life was. Maybe you could hang out a bit more and update to iOS9 directly.

cherryghost82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2015
thanks for all the replies!

I updated to 8.4. so far so good. pretty smooth, although the messages app seems a little bit laggy.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I've noticed it takes a couple charges after doing the update to notice the battery seems slightly better.

mammoetcs

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2015
NL
I have a 2014 rMBP I bought for the continuity/handoff features and i haven't even had the opportunity to really use them with ios7. I'm going to do a clean install tonight and see how it goes. :)

Cherryghost, has the update resolved the (safari) crashes for you? I've been having the same issues with my iPhone 5 on 7.1.2

cherryghost82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2015
Cherryghost, has the update resolved the (safari) crashes for you? I've been having the same issues with my iPhone 5 on 7.1.2

I have had 0 issues after updating. No crashes to report on safari. Idk what happened with 7.1.2 in the last few weeks but safari was basically unusable.

I'm not experiencing any noticeable lag or battery drain either. My only complaint is the new music app which is horrible. I had to re upload all of my local music as it was wiped out after restoring - no clue why, but it was a simple fix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.