iPhone 5 / iOS 8b2 will not shut down

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by TnIan, Jun 23, 2014.

1. TnIan macrumors member

I have an iPhone 5 with a broken power button. Not the smartest thing to put an iOS beta on, I know, and I fully deserve whatever subsequently happens.

Anyway, I noticed it was getting a little wiggy, so I tried to reboot using the Assistive Touch method. No matter how long I held it, it wouldn't give me the "slide to power off" switch. So I set it to "bold text" under Accessibility, which triggers a reboot.

Now it's sitting here with a black screen & the little spinning wheel, and shows no inclination to do anything else. I can't put it into Recovery/DFU without the power button. Can anyone suggest an option other than letting the battery run out?

2. Xiph0s macrumors regular

What does the b2 software have to do with this issue? Seems hardware related.

Go to the Apple store

/thread.

3. Antoni Nygaard macrumors 6502a

Antoni Nygaard

i just tried today where i couldn't get the slide to power off, it will only turn off the screen even if i kept the power button down for than ten seconds. I don't have a problem with the power button, but a hard reset fixed the issue

4. TnIan thread starter macrumors member

That's identical to my results trying to power off using Assistive Touch, which makes me think it's b2-related.

I'll just let the battery run down and see what happens then.

5. MaxPayne79 macrumors regular

Ya this is hardware issue really. Sing up for apples power button replacement program and get this fixed. If you can.

6. Kryckter macrumors 6502

Kryckter

That power button replacement upsets me because I sold phones that had it broken about a year ago.

And I agree, hardware issue... :cool:

7. TnIan thread starter macrumors member

They'd get a good chuckle if I brought this one into an Apple Store. It's a hybrid made out of a broken white Sprint phone & a broken black Verizon phone, with a T-Mobile SIM, running a beta OS.

If I could only jailbreak it, I might get an award for the least-supported device ever presented at a Genius Bar.

I guess there are plenty of third-party repair shops who wouldn't care, though.

8. skyhawkmatthew macrumors member

skyhawkmatthew

It's not a hardware issues. My iPhone 5 is exhibiting the same behaviour. No matter how long you hold the power button, when you release it it just turns the screen off as if you just clicked it. The power-off slider never appears.

9. DoctorKrabs, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014

DoctorKrabs macrumors 6502a

DoctorKrabs

If you want them to help you out at all, you need to remove iOS 8 from the device and restore to the latest version of iOS 7. Then get the phone's button repaired.
    I have restored a phone with a broken power button by letting the battery run out, plugging it in, and holding the home button until it boots up. It will be in recovery mode.
    Edit: Forget that, I saw that you've got a custom built device

10. TnIan thread starter macrumors member

The power-button-replacement page says my serial number is eligible for replacement, so I may run it by the Apple store and see what they say. Hilarity may ensue.