Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Codingphp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
I have a iPhone 5 and I'm having a great deal of difficulty finding any article that reasonably compares the 5 to the 6, both in specs and functionality. Are there any 5 users who have made that jump that can help me make my decision? Is it worth the upgrade? What is the most noticeable improvement?

Thank you!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
All I can say is look on apple.com and make the determination yourself.

I don't see a huge set of updates between the 5 and the 6, but the 5 is a 2 year old phone and upgrading for improved performance and battery may be worth it alone.

----------

I think there's more justification to upgrade to the 6 plus though.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
I have a iPhone 5 and I'm having a great deal of difficulty finding any article that reasonably compares the 5 to the 6, both in specs and functionality. Are there any 5 users who have made that jump that can help me make my decision? Is it worth the upgrade? What is the most noticeable improvement?

Thank you!

No brainer to me. My 5 is noticeably *sluggish compared to my wife's recently retired 5S. And compared to her new 6 it makes me weep a little inside. I WANT MY 6+ AT&T!!!!!!!

* not saying the 5 is sluggish outright, just compared to the 5S and 6

reverberlayed

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2014
It's certainly an subjective question. I went from the 5 to the 6 and am really happy I did. For one, the screen size leap is enough to justify it for me. It's beautiful, I don't have to zoom to read articles comfortably, and with the upgrades to the screen, it makes for a better viewing experience. Secondly, the camera doesn't have OIS but it does seem like a decent upgrade. Add on the slow-mo video, and 60fps video and it's a win. The phone is faster, but not too noticeably - at least my 5 held up pretty well for the 2 years I had it. Finally, the battery seems to last a lot longer for me.

If you're looking for an updated phone that will give you upgrades across the board, then upgrade to the 6 or 6 plus. If you're waiting on earth-shattering features, and you are satisfied with the performance of your 5, hold off. Whatever you do, please go try them out in store to get the full experience.

Last edited:

Beefcake287

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
I upgraded from the 5 to the 6 and I couldn't be happier. I thought my iPhone 5 was fast, but compared to the 6 it seems pretty slow. The camera on the 6 is really great and you can tell that apple worked on its low light capabilities.
The battery life is almost double of what my 5 was and the bigger screen is terrific.
The iPhone 6 is definitely worth the upgrade.
(plus most phone companies have that one year plan nowadays, so you can upgrade again next year if apple releases a better phone.)

geoffm33

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2010
I upgraded from 5 to the 6 (not +) and touch ID has been my favorite new feature. Not just for passcode unlock but I use it for 1Password, Amazon app, Mint, and more and more are rolling out.

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown
Yes, upgrade. I have my 5S sitting here as well and its no debate for me.

Pick the 6 or 6+ but do yourself a favor and go play with them at the Apple store. I picked the 6 over the 6+ but that's me. Plenty will pick the 6+ over the 6.

kinster

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
I made the jump from 5 to 6 Plus and the new phone has been fantastic. "Best Phone Ever". But I do need to becareful with this phone and you really do need 2 hands to operate it.

forza1976

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2007
Grand Haven MI
I went from the 5 to the 6+ and I'm loving it. The size is definitely a curve to get used to it but I'm stoked with the phone. Not for everyone but works great for me personally.

I still use my 5 for my work line and it's pretty comical seeing the two sit next to each other.

Most notable improvement is the screen (size and clarity) and the camera. The camera is just amazing in low light and the stabilization.

Ergates-thi-Ant

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2013
Whether you go for the 6 or the 6 plus, do the upgrade IMO. It's well worth it. I went from a 5s to the 6 plus, and that was a worthy upgrade. For me the big bonuses with the 6 plus over the 6 are the big screen, super long battery life, the landscape mode, and the better camera.

I'm not knocking those who've chosen the 6 instead. That's also a very good choice, and IMO it depends on your personal preferences and what is most important to you.

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
Basic specs comparison can be had here

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=6665&idPhone2=4910

End of the day I think the best way is to go to an apple store and have a look/play with the iPhone 6+. That when you can compare it to the phone you have whilst your there. Load a few pages. Open a few apps etc. Then decide.

My iPhone 5 still runs as well now as it did the day I took it out of the box.

gmans46

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
Also went from 5 to 6 plus and very happy I did. The 6 just felt like more of the same size wise and wasn't that "WOW" this is a huge leap type of thing. When I first got it I was a little apprehensive but now I realize I would've been pissed if I would have gotten the 6.

surf2snow1

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
I upgraded from 5 to the 6 (not +) and touch ID has been my favorite new feature. Not just for passcode unlock but I use it for 1Password, Amazon app, Mint, and more and more are rolling out.

This. I know its not new, but I LOVE touch id. Sometimes I lock stuff just so I can use touch id to re-open. Anyway, I also went from the 5 to the 6 and love the upgrade. Even just from a performance stand point it made sense to upgrade. The camera is much better than what the 5 had. The quality is a night and day difference.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
iPhone 5 to 6 Plus here. I don't think the average person would notice the speed improvements THAT much. Sure, it's faster, but for most people it doesn't need to be this fast. iOS 8 feels a bit snappier, but I've still noticed it lagging a few times. Probably just needs a software update. I find myself using my iPhone to browse the web more because it's much easier to read and view images on.

The biggest difference is obviously the display and it is gorgeous. The extra crispness is a little bit noticeable if you hold your phone close, but most people won't notice that. But they will notice the colors, contrast, etc of the screen. It's not overpowered either. Just seems very accurate (I'm a graphic designer, so take that opinion as you wish). It's really neat to be able to have extra information on the screen. It truly feels like an iPad Nano.

The second biggest difference to me is the camera. It really is an improvement, and it's crazy how fast it focuses now. The faster HDR is a really nice feature because you now get shots without the sky or something being blown out, but you can also take the shots very quickly. The panoramas are smoother and easier to take than on my 5 because the optical image stabilizer. On my 5, if I deviated off course by a small amount it would put black chunks at the top or it would end up "smearing", for lack of a better word, the image as it stitched it together. In my tests with the 6 Plus, it can capture the frames so quickly and smooth out the motion so well that this doesn't really happen very often, if at all as far as I could tell. Slow-mo is really fun to play with, but time will tell if this feature is something I would use very often. Lastly the camera flash is leaps and bounds beyond the iPhone 5. My wife still has the 5, and the difference between shots using the flash is astounding. Everything is so yellow/green. The white balance is worth it, and the power is really strong. I could take photos of completely dark rooms in my house—completely dark—and on first glance you wouldn't even notice the light wasn't on in the room. They still look slightly off because of the way shadows work, so it flattens the image somewhat, but still rather impressive.

Lastly, the final big difference is the battery. After a full day of work yesterday (first full day since I got the phone), the thing was at 90% when I got home at 5:12. Usually my iPhone 5 was between 40-50%. I only use my phone a moderate amount during the day: Checking email, iMessages, browsing the web a little, maybe a quick game while I'm waiting for someone to show up to a meeting, etc. In the evening I use it a lot more, and even more so since it's a new device to play with. I used it probably 3/4 of the time from 5 until 11:30 when I finally went to bed. That's about 5 more hours of use streaming videos, playing with the camera, browsing the web, chatting with people, emailing clients. The thing was at about 40% when I plugged it in for the night. I forgot to check usage before going to bed, but my usage during the day at work was about an hour and a half with 9 hours of standby. I usually keep the brightness at about 40%, with bluetooth and location services turned on. My iPhone 5 was the same, but the brightness was a little lower, around 30%. I might increase the brightness on my 6 Plus up to 50%. I know, cray cray.

Final thoughts: Don't get it if you have small hands and need to sometimes use it one-handed. Just reaching across the screen in portrait with your thumb can be a chore. I'm talking about side-to-side, not top-to-bottom. For reference, my hands are slightly above average. I also highly recommend a case as the device itself is quite slippery. I used it without a case for the weekend, and then my Apple red leather case came yesterday morning. It's expensive, but the grip is fantastic while still sliding smoothly into my pocket. Speaking of pockets, don't get this phone if you have skinny jeans and intend on pocketing it. I don't wear skinny jeans and it fits comfortably, but it is somewhat more noticeable than my 5—especially in certain pairs of pants that are a little more snug—and by no means tight—you can see the outline of the device fairly well.

Hope this helps! You can always order one and if you don't like it, take it back for the other. I did this but ended up liking it, and I've been extremely skeptical of larger phones for years. I'll admit it, I've been changed. But I do feel like Apple has done the best job out of any company making a larger phone. The fact that it's a little narrower helps, I just wish it was even slightly more narrow, and a little less bezel on top and bottom. I don't find myself using reachability too often, but it is very handy when I do need it.

CaptMarvel

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina
Also went from 5 to 6 plus and very happy I did. The 6 just felt like more of the same size wise and wasn't that "WOW" this is a huge leap type of thing. When I first got it I was a little apprehensive but now I realize I would've been pissed if I would have gotten the 6.

Everything said here.

I made the jump, not looking back either.

fridayxiii

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
Tampa Bay, FL
if you're not reliant on one-handed use, then I'd say yes. I pre-ordered the 6+ sight-unseen and am happy with the decision.

I was used to one-handed use with the i5, but my device usage does not depend on or require it.

The massive screen real estate is awesome, and the quality of the display is fantastic. The physical size takes a bit of getting used to (today is my second full day with the 6+), but it's not a tough adjustment, and again, the benefits (IMHO) far outweigh any possible drawbacks.

I turned on my i5 yesterday to check an app and was stunned at how much smaller - downright PUNY - the i5's screen is in comparison.

There's no going back for me now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.