Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dosboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
Japan
Which? Magazine in the UK tested 7 smartphones and had this to say:

Tests of the seven most popular smartphones found that iPhone 5 came last, processing requests at half the speed of the Samsung Galaxy S4.

The phones were put through a series of benchmark tests by Which? to measure processor and memory performance, which show how quickly the phone will allow photo editing, running graphic-intensive games, and using several apps at once.

Samsung Galaxy S4, the fastest phone of those tested, has a 1.9GHz quad-core processor which helped generate its impressive score. The phone received a mark of 3188 on the industry recognised test, compared to Apple iPhone 5's 1664 score.

Which? consumer watchdog said: “We put all the handsets through the same tests. Undoubtedly, Apple will upgrade its next iPhone when it launches this autumn.

"For the moment, Samsung’s Galaxy S4 is the phone to beat when it comes to speed."

The second fastest phone was ranked as HTC One, which has a quad-core 1.7-inch processor and 2GB Ram.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/10138924/Which-iPhone-5-is-slowest-smartphone.html

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So they're comparing a year old phone with newly released and its shown to be slower then the new phones - shocking :eek:

Seriously, lets compare apples to apples.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
False. Slowest smartphones are those from years ago. The iPhone 1 is much slower than the iPhone 5. So the iPhone 5 by default cannot be the slowest smartphone.

chanman

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2013
Arkansas, United States
iPhone 5s

When iPhone 5s comes out this fall, it'll have a quad core a7 processor with a geekbench score of 3500 and blow away the competition. Historically, each new apple chip is about 2x faster.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
They were comparing flagship phones currently available on the market. It's not Samsung's/HTC's fault that Apple still sells a phone as their flagship that is already far behind the competition when it comes to specs and speed. And yes, they could've easily waited for 3 more months and make comparison with the iphone 6...

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013
They were comparing flagship phones currently available on the market. It's not Samsung's/HTC's fault that Apple still sells a phone as their flagship that is already far behind the competition when it comes to specs and speed. And yes, they could've easily waited for 3 more months and make comparison with the iphone 6...

Well, actually if you look at a real world test such as opening apps, browsing speed etc. (not just a synthetic benchmark), you'll see the iPhone 5 is as fast or faster and more fluid than either of those two phones.
So I'd say it's Samsung and HTC who are falling behind. :p

dosboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
Japan
Sorry, didn't mean to look like a troll

You do realize that the S4 just came out and the iPhone 5 was released LAST year.... Damn trolls.

For the reasons noted by others, it is an unfair comparison and my iPhone 5 seems super fast already.

In my haste to give the forum a heads up, I neglected to make this point and came across as a troll. My bad.:p

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
These benchmarks are useless across platforms. I've only found any usefulness when overclocking Android devices to compare before and after.

Back when I had a Xoom and a iPad 2 with my Xoom overclocked it would blow away my iPad 2 in benchmarks.

However real world the iPad 2 was a smoother overall experience.

And isn't that all that really matters? What you perceive?

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Frankly, I don't care about benchmark tests. It is real world use that matters. Using my wife's iPhone 5 and it is smooth as silk for everything that I do and she does on it.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Android is a different kettle of fish.

It's like running windows on two computers; natively vs. virtualized environment. Then, only being concerned with which computer hardware has more performance.

iAndyPham

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2013
So naive. You can't compare iPhone vs other Android phones as they run on different OSs.

And I don't give a flying fark about how iPhone is slower than them, Android phones stutter like there's no tomorrow (yes, I do own a SS Note 2).

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
You can't compare iPhone vs other Android phones as they run on different OSs.
Sure you can. People shop devices on the 2 OS's all the time. Benchmarking, though, is fairly pointless aside from proving how well whatever is being benchmarked runs benchmarks. If you're shopping then compare your real world usage.

And isn't that all that really matters? What you perceive?
All that really matters is subjective. For some, it's the specs.

jonasdamn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2013
Benchmarking only for idiots or geeks. I had high benchmark scores with note2, s4 but it was lagging, struggling. While with iPhone 5 i have smooth user expierence. And common, in real life maybe kids give a fu*k about those benchmark scores, adults doesnt care about it while the smartphone is giving smooth user expierence.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
Actually I've found gs4s performance to be lacking considering it's a brand new phone and has much better hardware. Yet, I've seen both in action and the iphone 5 is actually faster in web browsing.... Like really. These reviews are completely premature. To the guy posting its not their fault apple is slow in releasing their products.... Really, I'm sorry Apple has to cater to other company's release times just to satisfy review comparisons

----------

Not really. Specs don't mean everything. Speed wise the iphone 5 is just fine.

SSonnentag

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2006
Yuma, Arizona, USA
I spent two weeks with the new Galaxy S4 and ended up switching back to my iPhone 5. The S4 may have a fast processor, but the OS prevents the user from experiencing all that speed. I found the S4 glitchy, slow to open and switch between apps, and gaming was poor due to the extreme heat the phone created and the frequent pauses in gameplay.

So the S4 may win in a benchmark number test, but the iPhone 5 easily wins in the usability speed test.

Applefan4

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2013
Absolutely ridiculous article. Comparing phone speeds in real life situations is far more valid than doing some benchmark test.

iPhone 5 beats S4 when it comes to loading games and apps. I am speaking from personal experience here. It is by far the fastest phone available today.

Applefan4

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2013
I agreed with you until you mentioned from personal experience.

Haha

What's wrong with that statement? I spent at least 3 hours in the shop testing GS4 loading various games and apps against my iPhone 5. It came (slightly) faster in all of the loading tests. Also you can watch on youtube that iPhone 5 slightly beats S4 and HTC One when it comes to web browsing speeds.

shadrap

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2009
Mayberry
I have had the iPhone 5, Galaxy S4, and the HTC One. Yes, I am that guy. The iPhone 5 remains the fastest phone in day to day use. This includes loading apps and browsing the web. Actually running the apps isn't a contest, iPhone all the way.

How they compare?

1. iPhone 5
2. HTC One
3. Galaxy S4

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.