iphone 5 issues with sleep/wake button, camera, and more

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by smurd83, Jun 29, 2014.

1. smurd83 macrumors newbie

I used my iPhone 5 in an armband for the first time this morning during my long run. When I finished my run, I took the phone out of the armband and noticed that my phone was pretty wet from sweat. I didn't think it would be too big of a deal, but my iPhone 5 hasn't been working right since. Here are the problems I've been having ever since I finished my run:

-When I short-press the sleep/wake button, sometimes it doesn't respond at all, and sometimes it asks if I want to power down, but it never allows me to just turn the screen off.
    -When I powered the phone down and tried to restart it, it took 4-5 times for it to finally start up again. It kept showing the apple icon for a few seconds and then turning off again.
    -The main camera/videocamera is not working...it's as if there is a lens cap over the lens. The front-facing camera works fine, but once I press the button to flip it back to the main camera, the camera app completely freezes.
    -Every once and a while the phone will wake itself up on it's own and the screen starts flickering and flashing like it's possessed, sometimes asking if I want to shut down.

The phone has always been in a case and I have never dropped it, nor has it ever had any issues what-so-ever, so I'm starting to become very concerned that this armband may have ruined my iPhone... does this sound like a case of water damage? If so, what are my options? (I do not have applecare)

Thanks in advance!

2. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

Hmm, it does sound like water damage. (check the liquid contact indicators first)

My experience: I dropped my phone in the toilet (on accident, I swear) and it would spaz out just like yours is doing. The buttons wouldn't work, there was an obvious water stain inside the phone, it would turn off by itself, basically everything that is happening to you.

I put my phone on a pan (yes, the type you cook in) and left it in the hot, hot Florida sun for about 10 minutes (gives you a chance to get a tan too! :D)

After all the water 'seemed' to dry out (from what I could see from the outside) the phone worked just fine, it would still spaz out but not as bad.
    (the speaker didn't work for like a month, but what are you going to do?)

If it turns out to be water damage, it's best to let it dry for a bit, if it keep giving you problems, you make the decision from there.

Apple, however, does not cover water damage in it's warranty. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3302

Best of luck!
    -Juan :apple: