Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio

appswipe

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2012
A new cable is cool but it's more a stocking stuffer than a Christmas present.

I'll likely buy every product they announce but I don't think it's exciting at all. IMO, Apple hasn't done anything amazing in the PHONE world since retina displays and instead of being innovators then their success has slowed down their innovation because now its all about incremental updates, hype and maximizing profits.

davehutch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Croxley, Herts
I really wish they hadn't bothered if it turns out to have a new connector.
A lot of effort went into making sure you could sync everything wirelessly and the iPhone is not much of a USB drive, so why bother with a super-fast connector?
That means my wife's iPhone 4 and the iPhone 5 (if I get one) will need totally speparate holders in the car, different chargers, different speaker docks.

As for mag-safe, the magnet would need to be of such low strength to make sure you didn't drag your iPhone off the table if you tripped on the cable, that it wouldn't stay in most of the time.

I really hope not!

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
A lot of effort went into making sure you could sync everything wirelessly and the iPhone is not much of a USB drive, so why bother with a super-fast connector?
That means my wife's iPhone 4 and the iPhone 5 (if I get one) will need totally speparate holders in the car, different chargers, different speaker docks.

As for mag-safe, the magnet would need to be of such low strength to make sure you didn't drag your iPhone off the table if you tripped on the cable, that it wouldn't stay in most of the time.

I really hope not!

I can see the new connection being good for those that load movies off their computer? With the USB 3 macs, this might make things easier. I prefer to buy my movies on my computer then load them on the iPhone.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
It would be nice if "Lightning" means it supports USB 3.0. That's a valid reason not to go with Micro-USB (which is missing the pins necessary for USB 3.0 support). iCloud or not, syncing with iTunes is still a good way to load up an iPhone or iPod with lots of music and movies.

USB 3.0 Micro-USB "solutions" have been very kludgy so far (mostly proprietary designs that add pins to a standard Micro-USB design).

Doombringer

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2012
A new cable is cool but it's more a stocking stuffer than a Christmas present.

I'll likely buy every product they announce but I don't think it's exciting at all. IMO, Apple hasn't done anything amazing in the PHONE world since retina displays and instead of being innovators then their success has slowed down their innovation because now its all about incremental updates, hype and maximizing profits.

Agreed. Retina was a huge leap forward. Much else? Minor improvements and keeping-up-with-the-joneses.

I'd love for Apple to really push NFC or a similar technology and show the industry how to do it right. Passbook feels like a middling compromise.

appswipe

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2012

As for mag-safe, the magnet would need to be of such low strength to make sure you didn't drag your iPhone off the table if you tripped on the cable, that it wouldn't stay in most of the time.!
1) Not enough effort went into their wifi sync implementation. I have 5 iOS devices and none of them consistently sync properly.

2) Theyre going from 30 pins to 9 pins. Less wasted space means more room for other components that matter.

3) They will supposedly offer a $10 adapter for your old cables

4) If "Lightning" is a play off Thunderbolt then maybe we'd get a TB<->iPhone cable. And the benefit there is high speed file transfer (movies/apps/photos)

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
Apple has done the "revolution" lets just let them sit back and do "evolution" for a while. After all its not their fault they got it so right the first time. Ive got a 4S and im chomping at the bit for the 5...ive wanted superfast transfer for a while now....looks like were going to get it.

appswipe

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2012
Apple has done the "revolution" lets just let them sit back and do "evolution" for a while. After all its not their fault they got it so right the first time. Ive got a 4S and im chomping at the bit for the 5...ive wanted superfast transfer for a while now....looks like were going to get it.

Claiming whether or not Apple "got it right the first time" is subjective. IMO, Android marketshare shouldnt be this high but marketshare shows us that people are choosing NOT to go Apple because of limitations in hardware choice and OS. so maybe "evolution" isn't enough.

Im not slamming Apple, Im just pointing out that users are becoming more sophisticated and diverse so its difficult to shoebox people and say that "one size fits all" anymore.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
I think the main reason Android market share is so high is because they dominate the low end and prepaid market. Apple has been pushing this year to get the iPhone on more prepaid carriers. A free-on-contract iPhone 4 will probably mix things up too.

Doombringer

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2012
Claiming whether or not Apple "got it right the first time" is subjective. IMO, Android marketshare shouldnt be this high but marketshare shows us that people are choosing NOT to go Apple because of limitations in hardware choice and OS. so maybe "evolution" isn't enough.

Im not slamming Apple, Im just pointing out that users are becoming more sophisticated and diverse so its difficult to shoebox people and say that "one size fits all" anymore.

Apple shouldn't rest on their laurels -- you're right, "evolution" may not be enough. Android is gaining ground fast, and Microsoft will throw their weight behind Windows Phone 8 and their tablets. Neither Google nor Microsoft are going away. The mobile marketplace continues to heat up.

Users like choices, options. This drills down to the look of their phone OS, the size of its screen, and the way they can get apps -- Apple is no longer panacea in this space. I don't foresee them diluting their product line just to cover all the bases and compete with Amazon, etc., but their apparent willingness to create an iPad mini shows they're trying to be flexible and keep up with the customer trends.

appswipe

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2012
Users like choices, options. This drills down to the look of their phone OS, the size of its screen, and the way they can get apps -- Apple is no longer panacea in this space. I don't foresee them diluting their product line just to cover all the bases and compete with Amazon, etc., but their apparent willingness to create an iPad mini shows they're trying to be flexible and keep up with the customer trends.
But which product has more consumer demand, an iPad Mini or a Large iPhone (not the 16:9 one we're getting)

My feeling is that Apple isn't reacting to demand at all which is why they are choosing two new directions with both the iPad and iPhone. 4" 16:9 on a phone is an odd choice but I feel Apple will figure out a way to make it make sense after today. And the iPad Mini is geting a lot of complaints from happy 9.7" users but IMO this is the size they will be shift their focus on. So it's not because of consumers they're making changes, its because they have a plan and they know that they have enough users that will blindly accept whatever they get. (And despite my gripes, Im still buying both the iPad Mini and iPhone 5 so their strategy is working)

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL

tumblr_m2atk17w9V1qe7cae.gif

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
so are we looking at thunderbolt for the iPhone, or the same crappy slow speeds? no mention so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.