iPhone 5 losing video with FaceTime

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 19, 2003
Hi,

I tried out FaceTime on my iPhone 5 today, and a few times the video would go away for a few seconds, (but not audio.) We both noticed a marked improvement in video quality, so we were wondering if it had to do with our fairly weak D-Link routers. We were both pretty close to them, though. Never had an issue with my 4.

Has anyone experienced FaceTime blacking out video on the iPhone 5 (or iOS 6)?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Happens here and there.
Has to do with the connection speed both download and upload on both parties wifi network.
If the internet is slow or congested on either side you will have hickups.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 19, 2003
Odd, as both our Internet speeds are pretty fast, and we've never had issues before.

pdutta2000

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2008
I'm having the same issues with my wife's iPhone5. My iPhone5 and our iPad2 work fine but hers keeps dropping the connection. Never had these issues with the 4S. Not sure what the issue is but have a Genius appt on Sunday.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
Same issue here with my iphone 5. I get a message on my screen that says "Reconnecting" and then I'll get a message about a poor connection even though my wifi router is in the next room.

h1kar1

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2007
Los angeles
having this same issue. Never had the issue with 4s and tested with different people. Nothing wrong with internet have decent speeds. however I'm having the issue with iPad now as well.

I think it's iOS6 itself.
that or something fishy with Current airport extreme. however no issues with appletv's or macbook pro connections.

Airport extreme is set to 802.11N 5gh's

aleni

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2006
having this issue too either with iOS6 or iPhone 5, im not sure.

but my guess is caused by the iPhone 5's Facetime camera is HD so it uses more bandwidth? but my other thinking is the phone must have a way to detect the connection speed so it will decrease the quality in order to smoother video.

hope it's just a bug within iOS6.

h1kar1

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2007
Los angeles
having this issue too either with iOS6 or iPhone 5, im not sure.

but my guess is caused by the iPhone 5's Facetime camera is HD so it uses more bandwidth? but my other thinking is the phone must have a way to detect the connection speed so it will decrease the quality in order to smoother video.

hope it's just a bug within iOS6.
I don't think it's the Camrea the Camrea on the front was hd before and never had a problem with that one before either ...

pdutta2000

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2008
I don't think it's the Camrea the Camrea on the front was hd before and never had a problem with that one before either ...
The 4s front camera was not HD before and I think that is part of the issue. Just an update on my wife's phone. I did a full restore of the phone from iTunes and her wifi performance changed dramatically for the better. Speed tests before the restore sat at 10-12Mbps and after they sit around 40Mbps. I think there is a video compression issue with the FaceTime HD camera over wifi. I've done a number of FaceTime sessions over LTE and have not dropped once which leads me to think that Apple isn't compressing the video enough over wifi leading to a connection issue as you run out of bandwidth.