iPhone 5 losing video with FaceTime

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Cougarcat, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Hi,

I tried out FaceTime on my iPhone 5 today, and a few times the video would go away for a few seconds, (but not audio.) We both noticed a marked improvement in video quality, so we were wondering if it had to do with our fairly weak D-Link routers. We were both pretty close to them, though. Never had an issue with my 4.

Has anyone experienced FaceTime blacking out video on the iPhone 5 (or iOS 6)?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Happens here and there.
    Has to do with the connection speed both download and upload on both parties wifi network.
    If the internet is slow or congested on either side you will have hickups.

3. Cougarcat thread starter macrumors 604

Odd, as both our Internet speeds are pretty fast, and we've never had issues before.

4. pdutta2000 macrumors regular

I'm having the same issues with my wife's iPhone5. My iPhone5 and our iPad2 work fine but hers keeps dropping the connection. Never had these issues with the 4S. Not sure what the issue is but have a Genius appt on Sunday.

5. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Same issue here with my iphone 5. I get a message on my screen that says "Reconnecting" and then I'll get a message about a poor connection even though my wifi router is in the next room.

6. h1kar1 macrumors regular

h1kar1

having this same issue. Never had the issue with 4s and tested with different people. Nothing wrong with internet have decent speeds. however I'm having the issue with iPad now as well.

I think it's iOS6 itself.
    that or something fishy with Current airport extreme. however no issues with appletv's or macbook pro connections.

Airport extreme is set to 802.11N 5gh's

7. aleni macrumors 68020

having this issue too either with iOS6 or iPhone 5, im not sure.

but my guess is caused by the iPhone 5's Facetime camera is HD so it uses more bandwidth? but my other thinking is the phone must have a way to detect the connection speed so it will decrease the quality in order to smoother video.

hope it's just a bug within iOS6.

8. h1kar1 macrumors regular

h1kar1

I don't think it's the Camrea the Camrea on the front was hd before and never had a problem with that one before either ...

9. pdutta2000 macrumors regular

The 4s front camera was not HD before and I think that is part of the issue. Just an update on my wife's phone. I did a full restore of the phone from iTunes and her wifi performance changed dramatically for the better. Speed tests before the restore sat at 10-12Mbps and after they sit around 40Mbps. I think there is a video compression issue with the FaceTime HD camera over wifi. I've done a number of FaceTime sessions over LTE and have not dropped once which leads me to think that Apple isn't compressing the video enough over wifi leading to a connection issue as you run out of bandwidth.

10. JoyceLambir macrumors newbie

Not sure what the issue is but have a Genius appt on Sunday[​IMG]