iPhone 5(LTE) pretty good in NYC

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mpossoff, Oct 7, 2012.

1. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I've read about AT&T issues in NYC. We are in NYC for the weekend and I have to say that I'm pretty impressed with AT&T LTE network in NYC.

HSPA+ is somewhat spotty but LTE is good all over the city.

2. billnye97 macrumors regular

I'm more curious about Verizon there. I am going to be traveling there every week and would like to know how the coverage is.

3. audiofx macrumors regular

Verizon works great in NYC, LTE and 3G. Its reliable. I live here with verizon iPhone 5.

4. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

3G reliable? I always poke my nose with people when they have an iPhone for conversation. The people in NYC that I talked too that have VZW 4/4S said that data was 'eh'. People with AT&T 4 said it stinks, people with AT&T 4S said it was spotty. We ate at the Hard Rock and I went into the AT&T store. The rep told me that the AT&T 4 stinks and the 4S is better but not by much. She said that AT&T LTE was very good. At least she was honest.

5. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I really don't understand the different wavelengths and frequencies, etc. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can help out.

Does LTE typically have better penetration and spread than typical 3G/4G? Or does it vary by region, etc?

6. compwiz1202 macrumors regular

Seems that only the fastest network is any good if that even is. Like my LTE is plenty fast, but when only 3G is available, it is horrible. Probably even worse that 1x/Edge would normally be.

But then thinking about that, what do you think a salesperson would say? They would say what they need to say to sell the most expensive item.

7. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

The point is the rep said the 4 stinks, the 4S is better but not much better. She said LTE was pretty good all over NYC for the most part.

8. RobNYC macrumors 6502

AT&T's LTE is a lot better than their 3G coverage. Admittedly I don't talk on my phone a whole lot so I'm probably not the best to comment on dropped calls and stuff like that but the data coverage is so much better than their 3G network. With 3g and full bars it still took a while for whatever data I was using to go through. With LTE it's right away now.

9. solo118 macrumors 65816

using att, LTE is much better than the 3g, or 4g I had with my 4s.

I did not experience a dropped call yet, knock on wood!

10. albertsw macrumors regular

Calls don't go on LTE.

11. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90