iPhone 5 makes me want an iPad mini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mcdj, Sep 29, 2012.

1. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Damn you Apple.

Since getting the iPhone 5, I've been spending more time with it than my iPad 3, mostly because it's a brand new toy.

After spending a few days with the iPhone 5, I picked up the iPad and discovered that the iPhone 5 has nearly ruined me for the iPad. The iPad is a beast by comparison. It's big. It's heavy. It's a bit sluggish compared to the iPhone. It's nowhere near as efficient to interact with. I can navigate the entire iPhone screen with barely a stretch of the hand. With the iPad, I need reach across the screen by moving my arms!

The tiny little extra bit of screen real estate the iPhone 5 offers really changes things, especially when it comes to browsing the web in full screen landscape. I don't have to squint. I don't have to tap and zoom as much.

The current iPad can't get much thinner or lighter without compromising build quality, and in terms of ergonomics, size and weight, I think it's too big to last. In 5 years, I predict the iPad mini will be the only size tablet Apple makes. In terms of function, the iPad is more like a hardcover book than a magazine...soon its form will follow that function, and it will be here to stay.

It took me 3 iPads and 1 iPhone 5 to realize that the sweet spot for a tablet is 7 inches.

2. Russiaone macrumors 6502

My Nexus 7 says "Hello."

3. blackbelter macrumors member

I now remember what my teacher said when I was in Junior school... In about 10 thousand years, humans will have only functioning brains and sex organs, and maybe digestive system. All other organs will have devolved into nothing because of the lack of actually using them...

Anyway, in my case, I care about gaming only. And gaming on iphone, or any smart phone in that matter, simply sucks. iPad rocks! Right now I have an iPad 2 and an ancient Nokia cell phone. And I am very happy with them:D

4. acorntoy, Sep 29, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012

acorntoy macrumors 6502a

Still love the size, fine with the weight. Tried a nexus 7 at a Verizon store a few weeks ago while waiting to pre-order the iphone 5 and I didn't like it at all, seemed horribly small, web pages seemed extremely small (for a tablet) and videos didn't seem as satisfying to watch compared to the iPads size. Only thing I think it would be better for is reading.

But god the iPad 3 now feels slow. Compared to my iphone 5 this thing crawls, can't wait for the iPad 4 with a faster processor.

5. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

I find myself in agreement. I'd love to have an iPad mini. I would just hope that it'd have equivalent battery life and a retina display. I'd like the black and slate look of my 5 on it too. Thinner and lighter would also be nice.

6. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I disagree, I find 7" too small for a tablet, if I need smaller I can just take out my iPhone. I like ~10" makes reading & working w/ one more efficiently. I played some w/ the Nexus and found it uncomfortable to get stuff done due to it's size when compared to a ~10"

7. BeginnerXP, Sep 29, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012

BeginnerXP macrumors newbie

I don't know if I'll like the smaller sized iPad or not, but I'm willing to order one to try and pass it on if it ended up being too small for my bad eye sight.

I don't think iPad mini will have the resolution of iPad 3 though, and 1024x768 wouldn't be a good resolution now as well, I'm waiting to see if Apple will create another resolution set or not.

8. monkey186 macrumors member

Love the current ipad size too as i got it mainly for work (reading documents), and it is just perfect for this purpose. Not too wide and not too square.

It also works fine for watching movies and occasional games. I won't be getting the mini, for a small interactive device I already have iphone :)

9. Infinitewisdom macrumors 6502

OP, interesting you say that the iPad 3 feels a little sluggish. I don't have an iPhone 5 yet, but I've played with it in stores. Responsive, but hardly makes me iPad 3 feel sluggish. Care to elaborate?

I do agree that an iPad Mini, assuming it's 7.85", would be perfect for me. The current one truly is a little bigger than I'd like. I just hope the Mini comes with a retina display. I'd hate to take a step backwards in screen tech just to get the smaller form factor. In fact, I'm not sure I'd be willing to do that.

10. duggram macrumors 6502

duggram

For me the right combination is the rMBA and mini. The rMBA for work and the mini for pure reading. I have the Kindle Fire now. Perfect form factor, wrong OS.

From the first iPad I've thought it was redundant. Too big for reading and incompetent for getting my work done. For others it meets their needs and should be available for them. But for me the smaller mini would be very useful.

11. Wiijeff macrumors newbie

12. ValO macrumors 65816

new dimensions?

Perhaps, this will happen:

Ipad mini 7-8 inch in November

Regular new ipad 10.5-11 inch, same size as the ipad now, by narrowing the bezel.

13. newdeal macrumors 68020

7 inches is too small for a tablet imo. My wife has a nook color and I hate the screen size. That said the ipad mini is supposed to be 7.85" which is actually 59% larger so likely will be the sweet spot. I doubt I will buy one because I dont have a need but if it is cheap i would consider it for my 2 year old

14. Che Castro macrumors 603

15. duggram macrumors 6502

duggram

I'm just learning about the A5, A6 chips. I noticed that the A5 was in both the iPhone 4S and iPad 2. Is there any reason to think that Apple would put the A6 in the iPhone 5 but not a new iPad? If yes, why?

16. CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

Yeah, the iPad's screen size combined with the idiotic price is a waste of money/space. Just get a laptop that outperforms it easily for half the price. Definitely interested in a 7 inch iPad, but only if it has a fast processor and retina screen. As well as being price competitive. iOS is no longer a selling point to me after using the far superior Android OS. I wish Apple would start taking the OS more seriously. They're getting dusted by Google in features and customizability.

17. duggram macrumors 6502

duggram

You were ok till you made this point. I have a Kindle Fire and had an HTC Incredible. I couldn't disagree with you more.

18. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I disagree. I'm sure we will get an iPad mini sooner or later, and it will have its uses, but the current size or a slightly larger iPad will also be here to stay. There are many uses for which a mini is too small, like, for example, magazines, PDF books, and children's books. Squeeze those types of material onto a mini, and they'll be too small to read comfortably. Also, for tasks such as word processing and spreadsheets, personally I prefer the current size iPad. And after all, hardcover books have existed side-by-side with paperbacks for a long time, and have never gone away. In five years, I expect Apple to be selling tablets in at least 3 sizes -- nano (aka iPod touch), mini, and regular.

19. Che Castro macrumors 603

The iPad 4 will have either A6 or A6x that's a fact

Now the iPad mini who knows
    The new iPod touch 5th generation has an A5 chip

Apple might be bold enough to go with an A5x for the iPad mini , but I hope not
    I want A6 like iPhone 5

20. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Which explains why Amazon, B & N, and others are making BIGGER tablets, correct? I've also heard people comment on how the past innovation was to make cellphones smaller, and now they are steadily getting larger. :rolleyes:

I think there will always be needs and uses for various sized tablets. This will be especially true as tablets become more powerful in the coming years, because people like artists, designers, business people, and others, will not want to do those tasks on a 7" widescreen aspect ratio screen. One of the main reasons I chose the iPad over other options was the screen size, and I know that I'm not remotely alone in that.

21. CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

Businesses aren't the ones buying iPads in bulk. Endusers are. People such as my wife who will no longer ever buy another iPad at its current size. Apple's currently losing boatloads of sales. Hopefully they address that with a 7 inch tablet. Saying the size is too small is simply being ignorant of the masses demanding it.

22. Candlelight macrumors 6502a

Candlelight

I've always preferred the smaller tablet range to a larger one. Can't wait for the Mini. Haven't had any interest in an iPad until now.

23. Iceboie macrumors member

I feel the same and after getting my Touchpad w/ICS installed, I never thought about getting an iPad until this rumor of the iPad Mini showed up. An iPad Mini w/Retina 16GB tablet for $300 is under my budget but if the price is higher or it's lacking of a retina screen display on launch day, I will be patiently waiting until they do.

24. midwestfisherma macrumors 6502

midwestfisherma

25. plucky duck macrumors 6502

The iPad is just fine for home use. I used to have the Playbook and enjoy bringing it with me when I am out and about, as the 7" form factor is so convenient.

Now that I have an iPad, and have it encased in a folio type case I find lugging it with me out of home isn't too much of a hassle at all, contrary to what I originally believed. Same with my 11" Air. The key I find is having the device encased properly, in a convenient to travel folio case, makes all the difference. The type of case I use adds to the convenience factor and makes it that much more travel friendly.

Having said that, would I still consider a 7" iPad if one were to come out? Nah, not anymore.