iPhone 5 making 2012 MacBook Pro go into sleep mode

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by byziphone4, Oct 17, 2012.

1. byziphone4 macrumors member

I just discovered that when I set my iPhone 5 on my MacBook Pro it unexpectedly goes into sleep mode on the computer. I noticed it does this when I set the iPhone on the left side of the trackpad more closer to the edge of the MacBook and then the screen goes blank and the computer goes to sleep. Once I pickup the phone it comes back on. This surprised me so I did it again and it did the same exact thing. So what exactly is causing this? What is on that side of the MacBook to make it fall into sleep mode? and could this of damaged anything? such as magnetically doing something to either the phone or the machine?

2. harry454 macrumors 6502

I have same issue. My understanding is, its most likely the vibration motor or the compass inside the phone that causes it to sleep as it sends a signal to the MBP magnetics thinking that the lid is closed.

3. Jaykee macrumors member

Have you tried using Caffeine?

I tried this with my iPhone 4S, nothing happened when I tried just what you said, not sure if its just the iPhone 5, but I'd recommend Caffeine, suppose it would fix it since it stops the MBP from going into sleep mode! :)

4. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

MBP has a magnetic sensor for the lid, iPhone has a motor for the vibration, motors have magnets, keep them apart and your Mac wont sleep prematurely...

5. Cubist01 macrumors newbie

Same here

My iPhone 5 is doing the exact same thing. When I pick it up when its plugged in to my Mid 2012 MBP 13 inch the laptop is going into sleep mode. Only when picking it up from the left side near the ctrl, fn, alt buttons!

6. kh3khalid macrumors regular

My BlackBerry does that with my Lenovo laptop. It's normal because both devices have magnets, and the one in your MBP is for making it sleep when you close the lid.

7. Zauberer macrumors regular

Oh wow! Thanks for experimenting and figuring this out. A few weeks ago I noticed my MBP went to sleep randomly. I was worried. Happened again a couple weeks later and I got really worried because usually intermittent issues are the worst to address. I'm not home right now to test this, but I'd bet this is what caused my MBP to sleep.