Resolved iPhone 5 (MD634LL/A) - Verizon Compatibility

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AppleGeek1127, Mar 1, 2015.

1. AppleGeek1127, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2015

AppleGeek1127 macrumors member

AppleGeek1127

For the past couple of years, I've been using my iPhone 5 on AT&T. Now that I'm shifting gears over to Verizon, I'm wondering if my phone is still usable for someone else on my plan.

The phone is an A1428 model. If anyone could shed some light on the situation, I'd appreciate it.

2. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, your AT&T iphone 5 will not work with verizon.
    If you get it unlocked it can work with Tmobile or any GSM carrier in the world but never on Verizon, Sprint or any cdma carrier.

4. AppleGeek1127 thread starter macrumors member

AppleGeek1127

Thanks for all the help. I didn't think that it would be compatible. However, this IS the Factory Unlocked iPhone 5 - and the current SIM-Free iPhone 6 does work on all 4 major US carriers.

In addition, I've heard that CDMA iPhones on Verizon are capable of working on T-Mobile - just without LTE.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The iPhone 6 and the iphone 5 are very different and because the i6 can do it and work on verizon and any gsm carrier your unlocked iphone 5 will NOT work with verizon. Verizon iphones can be used on verizon and any gsm carrier. The unlocked gsm iphone 5 will not go both ways, just GSM access.
    But you dont have to believe anyone, try it yourself and see how far you get.