iPhone 5 Microphone issue (on two phones)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by yearofthe, Sep 23, 2012.

1. yearofthe, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012

yearofthe macrumors regular

yearofthe

Every time I record a video, I hear a bunch of static in the background. So, I went to the Apple genius bar, and they told me the cancellation mic was broken, and that's what's causing the problem. I was like 'ok'. So, I get home, try to record a video and play it back, the static is worst than it is than on my previous one.

So, is this a normal thing? I'm watching YouTube videos of camera tests and I'm not hearing any static at all. I'am going back to see what's going on and how it's weird why I'm getting these broken phones.. I mean, the camera is one of the big things I looked forward to the iPhone cinco, so I'm getting kind of upset. I want to download Apps and music, but I can't since I know it's going to be gone the next day. -.-

Is anybody getting this? Is it a widespread issue or something? Goddang it apple..

Also, Apple is going to be worth $1 trillion dollars in a year...:
    http://news.yahoo.com/apple-could-worth-1-trillion-within-210019194--finance.html

2. KENPHOTO macrumors newbie

I am having the same problem. It is on both my wife's and my iphone 5 32GB black. It is quite a horrible noise. I am going to phone Apple about it tomorrow.

3. SporkLover macrumors 6502

Did they replace it?

My wife had the same issue with her 4S; if you let it progress long enough eventually the phone will start doing other weird things. It took 2 replacements for her to get one with a good noise cancelling mic.

4. abomb11 macrumors newbie

iPhone microphone noise

Yes, I am having the same issue. It seems like a very high noise floor from the microphone. I compared it to my iPhone 4 and the iPhone 5 has a noticeably higher sound. I am going to compare this with other iPhone users and test it my self to see if this is a normal level of noise or worse then others. Its pointless to go the Genius bar and not at least have done some research yourself.

5. ManuCH macrumors 6502

My iPhone 5 has also a very high background noise floor (like a hissing white noise). But it's only noticeable in a very silent setting (like, in a room, alone, performing a test).

I'm definitely not exchanging it, I think it's just the way it is. Just like I hear my Canon Powershot's autofocus going "click click click" when in the same silent setting. But outdoors they're both OK.