iPhone 5 Microphone Problem- My first word isn't detected.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Turnpike, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Turnpike macrumors 6502

Turnpike

Almost every issue I have with anything, Apple or not, there's usually 200 other people who also had a similar problem, and the solution (or at least a conversation about one) is somewhere online.... but this I haven't even found a mention of.

My iPhone 5 (ios6) works great, but when I use Siri, dictation, or something similar, only my words AFTER the first one or two are heard. My first word or two are not picked up. I would have thought it a software problem, but when I use the speaker on the earbuds, it works fine. When I don't, the first word or two are never picked up. Does this sound like a microphone problem? A software problem? If Apple fixes it, I loose my ios 6, so I thought I'd seek help here first....

Thanks!

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Is you phone lagging or busy in the background. Can't me a mic problem, it is likely software. Do all other functions work perfectly.

3. Turnpike thread starter macrumors 6502

Turnpike

Yes, everything else works perfectly; I thought it might be software too, but with the earbuds the mic works perfectly; it's only when using the mic on the phone...

4. KillaMac Suspended

Same thing when answering the phone. You have to wait a few seconds for it to turn on the mic.

5. Turnpike thread starter macrumors 6502

Turnpike

That I'm not sure of... I've only ever noticed it when talking to Siri or Notes, I never noticed a problem with phone calls....

6. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

Yup, definitely encountered this problem on my 5

7. KillaMac Suspended

I have the issue and so does a few others with iphones. If you answer too quickly they won't hear you say hello.

8. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

I have this with my 5 but not my 5s. I've been meaning to get around to factory reset and then Setup As New to see if it goes away but that would take a day out of my life so I've just been putting up with it.

9. Turnpike thread starter macrumors 6502

Turnpike

Same here! Let me know if you ever do reset it, and what happens. I'll do the same and update the post if I get a chance to doing it. It's hard to do when so much of your life revolves around what's on your phone, right?

Thanks!

10. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Yes so true lol!!!

I think the problem started with the 7.06 update though. I keep hoping apple will fix it with the next update.

11. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Eventually Siri stopped working with home button press entirely, but still worked with raise to speak. I gave in and hard reset the phone. Setup as new. Siri now works normally.

12. Bahroo macrumors 68000

This happens on my brothers i5. He starts recording and it doesnt pick up audio for like 1-2 seconds then it starts playing like there is no sound for first 1-2 seconds then it comes