iPhone 5 Mock Up

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sedrick, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Sedrick, Dec 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011

Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I worked some mock-ups in my cad program and a 4" screen will fit:

Of interest is, they made the iPhone 4 narrower than the iPhone 3 (they took away the bezel and shrunk the case width closer to the 3.5” screen and squared it off). SO, if they widen the iPhone 4 case back out to the iPhone 3 width, keep it squared off, there’s room for a 4” screen (and keeps the same aspect ratio). So I'm betting the iPhone “5” (when ever that happens) will have 4"… (yeah, sad this is how I spend my lunch time)

See attachment:

A quick update to add a few points.

Apple squared off the iPhone 4 and as a result had to make it narrower so it would still fit in the countless iPhone docks on the market (see image below).

Keeping with this new limitation, we can figure that a 3.8" screen is all we'll ever see in this form factor.

Attached Files:

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You should change your thread title to "iPhone 5 Mock Up". A lot less "matter of fact".

3. Sedrick thread starter macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Agreed and done. :)

4. aluren macrumors 65816

Looks good. I hope we do get a bigger screen on the next iPhone. Like Jobs said, the screen is the most important component and bigger is better.

5. bid2ask77 macrumors regular

bid2ask77

I still think the screen size is fine on the iphone 4 people forget that is a phone. If i wanted a bigger screen i would go out and buy an ipad.
    I think the iphone 4 is just the right size fits in the pocket just fine.

6. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

you needed your cad programm to figure out that a 4" screen would EASILY fit the current form factor of the iPhone? :/

June / July 2011 ... but that's just a very VERY wild guess ... :/

7. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

I really like the iPhone's screen size as it is. Am I the only one that feels this way?

I see giant giant windows/android phones with like the 5" screens and they just look ridiculous. Why not just carry around a iPad or netbook at that point?

8. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

Yes this has been brought up before several times

Personally I think it would be awesome to have a 16:10 vs the current 1.5:1 ( current iphone ratio)

This would allow for more space for media and movies, while only adding a small amount of blackspace for the 15:10 backwards compatibility issues

btw i doubt this will ever happen, apple is pretty set on keeping the same aspect ratios

I'd only want a bigger screen if it meant the same form factor, i don't need a tablet in my pocket

9. wikoogle, Dec 14, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010

wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

You should actually title the thread: "Proof that the iPhone 5 can house a 4" screen without being any bigger than the 3GS"

It explains what the thread is about...

Fantastic work.

I think everyone would go absolutely nuts for an iPhone with a 4" screen that's no bigger than the 3GS. :D

"From my experience, it's far easier to use the on screen keyboard, browse online, read pdfs, emails and e-books, and watch movies with an extra inch of diagonal real estate. Everything just looks nicer, especially games, websites read easier when the text isn't quite so tiny, and movies feel more immersive. It's shocking how big a difference that extra inch makes." -iPhonedHome

The advantages of a 4 inch screen are numerous. Typing, websites, ebooks, emails, videos, games would all look and be much easier to use with a 4 inch screen. I suggest playing around with smartphones with 4 inch screens to see just how much more pleasant a bigger screen can make browsing, book reading, gaming and video playback. The current iPhone has a large bezel that could be done away with to accommodate a 4 inch screen for the most part.

It's not only tech geeks that enjoy watching videos on the iPhone, browsing the web on the iPhone, reading ebooks on the iPhone, reading maps on the iPhone, looking at and showing off pics on the iPhone, all tasks that are made substantially easier with a bigger screen. I am willing to bet that a general sample of all iPhone owners would show similar stats, with most wanting a bigger screen that makes these tasks easier and more pleasent.

10. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

As someone who has used their fair share of Android devices (G1, myTouch, Droid, Nexus One, Droid X, EVO) I feel while varying screen sizes work well with Android (especially larger screens for things like Swype), but with the iPhone I feel the screen size is fine as-is, especially since they did the resolution bump. If its added as a variant, however, I couldn't argue against more choices.

11. ag227 macrumors regular

this is ridiculous.

you really needed a program to see that if they make the phone wider( like back to the 3gs etc) a bigger screen will fit? You know that if they made it even wider a even bigger screen could fit? :eek: Dont believe me? do a cad mock up :cool:.

My point anayway... just becasuse it will physically fit on the front, it does NOT mean the screen will fit. Yes of course they could make it fit if they wanted to too. But by your logic they could fit on a screen the size of the front of the iphone.

just wow...

12. LS417 macrumors regular

you cant just assume that because you can make it fit in a drawing that it will fit and work out in real life.

You need to account for all the other components that will need to be adjusted and moved out of the way for the 4'' screen to fit.

So I wouldnt have high hopes for a larger screen on the next iphone..

if I had to guess, I'd say it will look exactly like the iphone4 with some improved specs..possibly 64gb option?

13. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

As the Mythbusters would say, "Plausible however highly unlikely."

14. lbeck macrumors 6502

lbeck

15. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

yeah but if the phone itself is going to remain the same size why not? unless you enjoy looking at the black bezel around the screen and like it to be as thick as possible lol.

16. Merkie macrumors 68020

Never gonna happen. It will be a nightmare for app developers.

17. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

4" screen is not going to happen on any iPhone in the near future.

18. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Don't these same developers develop apps on a larger screened device we all call the iPad?

A bigger screen WILL happen on the iPhone. When is anyones guess. This thread alone explains why. Some want it, others don't. The smartphone is becoming the personal computer of 1995...EVERYONE will own one soon. When that day comes, all these manufacturers (Apple included), will need to offer variety.

I believe Apple will offer a 4.3, 4.0, & 3.5 version eventually. The larger versions will have more hardware incentives, etc. This is just like the 13" 15" and 17" MBP lineup. The Operating Systems don't have to change in the larger versions...everything will work the same...just a larger device WILL come.

In my opinion, the iPad is a sexy cool toy...but is not portable enough to be the everyday computer the smartphone will eventually become.

Cosmo

19. spikefood macrumors regular

Maybe. But a 10 inch screen is a bit different than a 3.5 inch screen. I would like to see the phone at 4 inches. And these CAD drawings clearly show they could do it while still maintaining a small phone. The 3gs was never big in my eyes, and adding an additional .5 inch to the screen would be a huge benefit.

20. spikefood macrumors regular

Because the ipad does not fit in my pocket. If it did, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

21. spikefood macrumors regular

No, by his logic it would fit while still maintaining a gap around the sides. He never said you could fit a screen from end to end. Read his original post instead of trying to troll.

22. aluren macrumors 65816

But you're forgetting that the iPhone is not just a phone anymore. It's a fully functional multimedia device. I definitely wont pay $300 + 80/mo just to make phone calls.

23. Sedrick, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010

Sedrick thread starter macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Wow, I'm amazed at the heat generated over the simple suggestion that Apple could fit a 4" screen in the next iPhone and keep the 3G's size. With the same aspect ratio, everything currently written for the iPhone will work perfectly. There's absolutely no downside.

As far as the comment that it won't fit because 'there's stuff inside', the screen is an overlay, and I'm sure with Steve's brilliance they could pull it off.

Yet people still protest, holding steadfast in the belief that nothing on earth could possibly be better than what Steve has currently blessed them with.

24. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

Adding a different size screen would change the "retina display" pixel density, thus making it no longer be a retina display. Cramming more pixels in there to bring it back to retina screen status would only cause trouble for software developers which would need to support yet another screen/resource size.
    A larger screen is definitely one thing that the iPhone doesn't need. Phones with large screens are VERY clunky, IMO.

Edit: quick add-on: holding your iPhone in your right hand, try tapping the top left corner of the screen. A larger screen makes that experience MUCH worse :\ It's one of the reasons I believe the iPhone's screen size is just right on the sweet spot.

25. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

i agree with you on that one.
    even though, i suppose, i don't have the biggest hands. but neither do girls.

but yeah, the 'action radius' of the thumb is probably the reason for the screen being the size it currenty is, aswell as the home button area not containing any extra buttons