iphone 5 mockup - why the big home button?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Foxdog175, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Foxdog175 macrumors regular

In all of the renders I've seen, the home button is huge...is there an extra function to having a larger button? Aesthetically, it's ugly, but there must be a reason for it.

2. Zackmd1 macrumors 6502a

I agree with you on the aesthetics part. The going rumor is that its a new gesture based button. With one swipe across the button you would be able to quickly switch between apps much like the four finger gestures work on the iPad in iOS 5.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

4. frostmane macrumors newbie

5. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I hope the elongated home button rumours are false. It just looks terrible.

6. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

...could really go for a decent picture of this thing about now.

7. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

I find it strange that Apple are suing Samsung, for the Galaxy looking like the iPhone, but the main difference is that the Galaxy has the wider 'home' button..

back on topic - I can't see a need for an additional gesture area on the phone, they should be able to add any required gestures to the screen surely?

8. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

Good ergonomics would be appreciated, feel the actual iphone still isn't that good in that category.

9. ah123 macrumors regular

10. twitt3r macrumors 6502

The current iPhone 4 is one of the worst phones to actually hold and use as a phone. Too many angular edges.

I assume you know that by trying to be clever like that, it shows that you must actually be worried about it...

11. ah123 macrumors regular

I'm not really worried about it - I've come to accept it :D

12. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

I think all the mockups have it wrong

the cases need an opening that large, because they need to expose the "gesture area"

this doesn't mean the gesture area is also a button. I think the home button will be the same, with the gesture area being around it, but not actually a part of the button.

13. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Fair enough Mr Tiny McC :p

14. Foxdog175 thread starter macrumors regular

Agreed. I hate the feel of the i4; it's really awkward. The 3g/3gs is my favorite of them all...it feels great in the hand.

15. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

I joined this forum after years of reading to say this bigger button with gesture capability is a warm welcome to someone who is looking to come over to the iphone from BB.

I always believed that a touch screen is great but not for everything. Being able to do a little navigation around the OS with a touchpad like button is nice. This is where I think BB got it right.

Even if this gesture area just acted as a BACK button I would be so happy and would seal the deal for me.

16. jonrando macrumors 6502a

17. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Jailbreak it and the button can do whatever you want...

18. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

Really, I have a lot to learn, Thanks.

19. saberahul macrumors 68040

Maybe its a multitouch home button where you squeeze in two fingers and perform pinches and what not. That's the new cool.

20. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Or you could just pinch the screen which is a whole lot larger... As a secondary means to scroll something while holding the phone with two hands and not covering the screen, fair enough, but really, they should have removed the button entirely and made the screen 16:9 ratio, 1280 x 720.

21. AreYouIn?, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011

AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

People don't like change. They can't just take the button away from us all of the sudden they have to get us used to using some gestures and then make it an entirely touch button. Slowly convince us we like it. Not that I wouldn't love it. I loved my blackberry trackpad.

22. Sedulous macrumors 68020

Sedulous

Maybe it will provide a way to swipe to other multitasking apps?

23. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

Doesn't look like anything unusual there to me - looks like an iPhone 4 screen without a button and some kind of (inspection?) sticker over part of the empty button hole. Doesn't look "elongated" to me, nor does it look like a new screen size, either, which sounds to now be a foregone conclusion for the new model.

24. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

25. sephyleader2 macrumors newbie

I think this, if it happens is finally the final blow to BB, well they've been dying but still by having a gesture area, the iMessage app, and especially if we get a good led notification system, it would be a total blow and wipe them out completely from the competition, plus i'm sure the minute the iphone 5 comes out about 3 android phones will immediately be conceived with intentions to kill the iphone 5, and thus helping end bb completely.

just a question, if this image is real than why has there been such little to no coverage on it, it just appeared in an article almost randomly and no one's really done anything on it specifically, is it real?