Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Yep. Apple is always ahead, despite how it may seem.

I agree, doing anything serious on a phone is something I would never do. I have my Mac for that :p

Watching movies would also be stupid on a cheap android, but more sensible on an iPhone or iPad.

Totally agree, and for texting, email, and general phone use...IMO, no one does it better than apple. Sure my galaxy nexus is nice for some things but I always miss the simplicity and hassle free iPhone.

jji7skyline

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2011
Totally agree, and for texting, email, and general phone use...IMO, no one does it better than apple. Sure my galaxy nexus is nice for some things but I always miss the simplicity and hassle free iPhone.

Definitely... unless you jailbreak it :p

MTD's Mac

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2010
Los Angeles
I like the look, but you've lost my respect with your crude comment:

"nothing horrendous like the Samsung Note".

Why not say "nothing as large" ?

Are you that insecure, you've got to bash the other brand instead of taking an intelligent approach?

This is _exactly_ why Apples fans are so polarizing. Instead of a respectful conversation it's all about insults. But only if they go one way.

Apple lovers can violate forum rules, call troll, and bad mouth other products with immunity.

The moment they get push back & insults in return they wail like children.

These forums are all about opinions. While there's certainly some line you can cross where your views lose credibility, this isn't it. The note is pretty horrendous, it's for customers with other priorities besides aesthetics. Calling them stupid for buying it would be crossing the line, but this is a discussion about design, be prepared for it to get biased.

jji7skyline

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2011
These forums are all about opinions. While there's certainly some line you can cross where your views lose credibility, this isn't it. The note is pretty horrendous, it's for customers with other priorities besides aesthetics. Calling them stupid for buying it would be crossing the line, but this is a discussion about design, be prepared for it to get biased.

If somebody buys it, I wouldn't think badly of the person, because I can think of many reasons why I would, although of course I wouldn't, but some people might need a large screen.

But it's still not a good design. You might as well put an iPad up to your ear :p

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Apple does not play the catch up game if one just knows their history. They take their sweet time with technology, and never play the silly catch up games that some like to play.

I still hold a phone to my ears to communicate. I never text nor play games/movies on a cell phone. I have a Computer/LCD TV for entertainment. I may have to ask, who watches movies on a 4.5 inch screen ? That is silly. :D

I'm curious why bother with a smartphone at all if you don't text/games/video? Seems like there maybe better products to suit your needs.

I watch videos, play games and such on my even smaller screen iPhone. Just recently I was stuck in an airport for what should have been a 1 hour layover that turned into a 7 hour delay. I hardly felt silly watching movies on (Netflix, HBO Go, SHO Anytime, MAX Go) and playing games (Soduko, Words with Friends, etc). Normally I would have had a tablet or laptop but I was traveling light. If it was so silly apps like Netflix wouldn't always rate so high on all the must have iphone app list, and the iPod classic and thousands of video conversion software options would never have been so insanely popular.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I'm curious why bother with a smartphone at all if you don't text/games/video? Seems like there maybe better products to suit your needs.

I watch videos, play games and such on my even smaller screen iPhone. Just recently I was stuck in an airport for what should have been a 1 hour layover that turned into a 7 hour delay. I hardly felt silly watching movies on (Netflix, HBO Go, SHO Anytime, MAX Go) and playing games (Soduko, Words with Friends, etc). Normally I would have had a tablet or laptop but I was traveling light. If it was so silly apps like Netflix wouldn't always rate so high on all the must have iphone app list, and the iPod classic and thousands of video conversion software options would never have been so insanely popular.
But imagine how much more pleasurable that experience would have been if you'd had a 4.5" phone.

skidbubble

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2010
It would be a pain to carry around though. Might not even fit in some pockets.

I've never understood why iPhone fans are of the belief that any phone dimensionally larger than a 4S will somehow be unable to fit in pants pockets. Do people actually have pockets that are the exact height, width, depth and shape of an iPhone?

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
I like the look, but you've lost my respect with your crude comment:

"nothing horrendous like the Samsung Note".

Why not say "nothing as large" ?

Are you that insecure, you've got to bash the other brand instead of taking an intelligent approach?

This is _exactly_ why Apples fans are so polarizing. Instead of a respectful conversation it's all about insults. But only if they go one way.

Apple lovers can violate forum rules, call troll, and bad mouth other products with immunity.

The moment they get push back & insults in return they wail like children.

Umm..The note is a horribly built, cheap piece of plastic with an incredibly oversized, rediculous screen. Horrendous is an understatement. I laugh every time I see someone holding it up to their ear. I know it sold well, and there is apparently a market for it, but IMO its the worst smartphone on the market.

Sounds like u own a note and don't like people telling u they think it's ugly. if u like it that's all that matters. And stating an opinion isn't a forum violation. If he thinks is horrendous, he can scream it loud and proud.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Umm..The note is a horribly built, cheap piece of plastic with an incredibly oversized, rediculous screen. Horrendous is an understatement. I laugh every time I see someone holding it up to their ear. I know it sold well, and there is apparently a market for it, but IMO its the worst smartphone on the market.

Sounds like u own a note and don't like people telling u they think it's ugly. if u like it that's all that matters. And stating an opinion isn't a forum violation. If he thinks is horrendous, he can scream it loud and proud.

Ugly and horrendous? Not sure where that comes from. Rediculous size for a phone? Sure.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida

Smartphones gives me a good size screen for viewing web sites/weather apps. Nicer size for GPS. Has a better camera over most flip phones. Gives me the option if need be to have texting on a better screen with a larger virtual keyboard. Better sound quality as well, just to name a few things that a smart phone has over flip :D and to add to this rambling, its better to have the other function and not need it, than to need it, and not have it :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.