iPhone 5 Network Compatibility

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by William7, Mar 17, 2013.

1. William7 macrumors member

so my question is, If i buy an iphone can i use it on any network? I have the 4 for verizon and I know that it wont work with GSM networks. But I Think that i heard there is only 1 iphone that works with all carriers. Im also asking about world capabilities ie will it work with carriers in Europe? Asia? Australia? I like to travel.

2. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

Sure. As long as you buy a factory unlocked iPhone from Apple you could use it with any GSM carrier you want provided that the iPhone supports their bands.

3. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

the iphone 5 can be used with any GSM network, worldwide, for EDGE and 3G data. however, HSPA and LTE data will depend on which frequencies your specific iphone 5 supports. i know the verizon iphone 5 will not support domestic GSM LTE bands, but may be able to use overseas LTE.

4. dextr3k macrumors 6502

All unlocked iPhones can make calls and send SMS on global GSM networks. Theres usually at least one in every country. But data you are limited to your phone's frequencies as the above poster said.

Here is a list of the 3 versions of iPhone5 and their abilities to connect to LTE data networks.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/