iphone 5 no service (signal). Buy it or not?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jakobo, Jan 3, 2014.

1. jakobo macrumors newbie

Hello, I can have unlocked iPhone 5 for good money, but there is a problem that device has no service. PIN is accepted, than iPhone is searching for signal and after a while NO SERVICE. This is sellers description. I have no chance to try my SIM card, or sth like that. I know that it could be only problem with SIM card or is neccessary to RESET NETWORK SETTINGS, on/off Airplane mode and so on.. If it will be HW issue, could a problem be with sth another than Antenna? I have one iPhone 5, that is iCloud locked, so I can change antenna from this.

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

theres no way for us to tell.

it could simply be their SIM card is currently not associated with a cellular plan. the seller should at least be able to tell you that for sure or not. sounds like you arent asking the seller the right questions, to ensure you make a good buy. asking us wont help. its up to you to troubleshoot it before hand to find out if the device is working properly or not.

3. jakobo thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, he told me, that he is not expert and want to sell that phone as is and have no more troubles with it. But it is an auction, so he will sell it to one, who will pay more.
    I am only asking if someone know, if it could be some another HW issue, than something with the antenna. I know that there is connection between a part with antenna and motherboard via cable with little piece on the end. And it is neccessary to snap it into motherboard. I hope that that small part (dock) on motherboard will be OK.

----------

And the phone is from domestic carrier and iphones here are officially unlocked..

4. Klae17 macrumors 6502a

Klae17

That seems like a ton of trouble with no clear result.

5. jakobo, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014

jakobo thread starter macrumors newbie

iPhone 5 has NO SERVICE. If I want to buy that phone for very low prize I must to také a risk and hoped that it will be possible to complete it with my iPhone 5 iCloud locked..

So my question is, if it could be some another HW issue than bad ANTENNA ...
    Could it be motherboard issue except a damaged connector to which is connected an antenna?

6. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

personally, i would stay away from buying phones that have known issues.

on another note, why is your other phone icloud locked? stolen?

7. jakobo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks and why? Where can be that problem that will not be possible to solve?
    Dont know full history of that phone, friend bought it somewhere, want to contact pre owner, but it wasnt possible. So I dont know if stolen, or just pre owner forgot to remove find my phone. Thats not my problem....

8. jonasdamn macrumors 6502a

It has hardware defect with antenna, had this problem on my old iPhone 5, went to service center for an exchange

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

If it is stolen you are receiving stolen property. Do you have no ethics at all? If stolen the phone can be blacklisted by the carrier.

10. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

"no signal" simply means theres a dummy SIM in there that is not registered with the network.

well 99% of the time lol

11. m3nphls macrumors member

Its most likely blacklisted. I've seen plenty of those.

12. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Probably because its black listed. No service is what it says.

13. blarivee macrumors 6502

14. jakobo thread starter macrumors newbie

When I checked the IMEI via SWAPPA it says:

IMEI Check

Valid ESN is not blacklisted.
    ESN is does not appear to be blacklisted suggesting it should be activation ready.

And I have these informations about that phone:
    activated: YES
    last activated SIM: Vodafone, Czech republic (I want to use that phone for same carrier)
    Telephone Technical support: expirated
    Repairs a Service Coverage: February 8, 2014
    Estimated Purchase Date: November 28, 2012
    Country purchased: Czech. Repblic
    Carrier: Retail Unlock
    SIM Lock: Unlocked

So, what do you think? Should be that iPhone blacklisted?

15. tonie macrumors 6502

I wouldn't even bother buying it. All these people are telling you the same. Take a risk if you want.

/Thread closed!

16. jakobo, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014

jakobo thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it possible to find somewhere if is that phone black listed? I have no idea about that, but somewhere in iTunes or elsewhere?

So I checked the register of stolen devices in my country. And that phone is not stolen.

17. jakobo thread starter macrumors newbie

Owner was trying that phone with another carrier and it showed no service, so I will try to find out if vodafone has blacklist and possibly if sharing it with another carriers.
    Any other idea?
    Thanks

18. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Blacklisted or not, it is a probably defective unit: I can't see a single valid reason to buy it unless it costs something like 50€