iPhone 5 not charging, possible defective port

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jetlagged, Sep 27, 2014.

1. jetlagged macrumors 6502

Hi folks. I figure I'd post here. I did search the forum, but found nothing really definitive, and the issue still persists after doing some of the suggestions I found on the search.

My mom's iphone 5 is not charging at all. I know it's not the lightning cable because I am able to charge my ipad mini retina and my iphone with it. I tried looking into the lightning port, using a flashlight, I cleaned it out, thinking it might be dirty, or something is stuck in there. I didn't find anything. When I press the power button, the screen turns on with the empty red battery indicator, stating it needs to be plugged in and charged.

My last resort is take it in to an iphone repair shop nearby and have them look at it. I wonder how much the cost is to fix it. But if there are any other suggestions, let me know. I don't want to open the iphone 5 because I don't have the tools to open the screw.

2. jetlagged thread starter macrumors 6502

so the problem was that something was missing inside the lightning port. one of the parts got chipped off and went missing. so the repair shop ended up replacing a new charging lightning port, and it's working now.

total damage $72 California dollars, greatest state in all of the united states.

3. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

I hate my electric bill in California. I'm glad you got that fixed, seen that before on other hardware. How old was the phone?