Iphone 5 not for gaming

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by borgqueenx, Sep 27, 2012.

1. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

I played blood roofs for 20 minutes, and the back of the iphone became warm and i lost 15% battery.., i didnt lose that much with surfing over 3g.

2. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I'd be interested to read more views on this from other iphone owners to add balance if this is common or not.

3. sparayno1, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012

sparayno1 macrumors newbie

I agree. The iPhone has great graphics, but when I played asphalt 7 for 40 min, I lost 30% battery. This is with 40% brightness and Wifi connection.

4. borgqueenx thread starter macrumors 65816

terrible to see other owners also have this problem...

Its really not suited for gaming this way.

5. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

I really don't know what you are expecting. Do remember this is a phone. Any graphics intensive non pause program WILL drain the battery somewhat. This iPhone is also thinner and has less room for heat dissipation etc.

If you are going to be playing video games that require reasonably intense graphics, I would recommend purchasing something like a mophie battery pack or bring your charge cables and top off when you get to your destination. There are reasons that portable gaming systems aren't as slick and thin as the iPHone.

Just my 2c

6. Adutrumque macrumors 65816

Adutrumque

I dont like to see that its getting overheated. Whata shame :(

On the other hand, looking at Blood Roofs gameplay ...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuhohp-Z0KA

there is friggin lightning effects! Lol , id never play a game like this.

7. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

When actually using the phone its battery definitely drains faster than the iPhone 4S. It beats it on standby but that's pretty useless as I will charge it before its stand by time is reached, what I need is use time.

I will say this though, the battery life improved a substantial amount after about the 3rd charge.

8. Adutrumque macrumors 65816

Adutrumque

Good to hear.

9. STiNG Operation macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

Yupp, mine isn't quite as bad as you're saying but I'll be buying a mophie case as soon as I can.

10. andross77 macrumors regular

this will happen on absolutely any phone. the iphone IS made for gaming because it has THE BEST GPU of any cell phone in the world BY FAR. If it could only last 30 minutes playing NOVA 3, it would STILL be for gaming. The graphics are AMAZING in that game.

the iphone 5 will still last at least 2 hours if not up to 4 playing the most intense games that look almost PS3 or XBOX 360 quality. To be able to do that in a form factor about a 4 of the size of just the xbox CONTROLLER is frickin amazing!

Damnit with all these firstworldproblems posts. People are so damn ungrateful and i'm going to post this youtube video because EVERYONE needs to watch it before they WHINE on the internet.

Why you are a baby if you whine about the most amazing piece of technology in the consumer world!

11. deyjavoo macrumors member

I'm always happy to hear people complaining about these "issues" because it's the consumer's voice we all want Apple to hear and cater to. You're suggesting a Mophie battery, but really we should be saying we want Apple to put a bigger battery in the iPhone.

12. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Really, people? Did you just not have enough to complain about today?

You mean, when both the main processor and GPU are working at 100% for extended periods of time, they produce more heat AND use more power? Shocking. Oh wait, no it's not.

Yes, you're not going to get 8 hours of 3D gaming on your phone. It's going to eat battery. You might get 2 hours out of it, maybe 3. And yes, it's going to get warm. The chip is up against aluminum, which is an amazing conductor of heat, so it's going to get warmer than the insulating glass of the 4/4S (incidentally, this is better for your phone components, because the heat has a means to radiate away).

This is not new to the iPhone 5. This is true on the 4S, the 4, the 3Gs... I'd say it's the same for Android, but let's face it, they don't have many games frankly. :)

13. femin macrumors newbie

totally agreed, iphone 5 battery runs fast on mine when i play games. and its gets warm quickly.

14. phr0ze macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't call it overheating. I am certain they intended the aluminum back to dissipate the heat. So heat isn't the issue.

My only unconfirmed issue is the iphone 5 seems to have 2 modes. Low power apps mode like web browsing, music playback. And full blast 100% all cores firing. Even if a game doesn't need that much processing, it seems the phone fires it all up.

15. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

or just purchasing a xbox ;)
    or even an ipad.

----------

same for the ipad too... and macbooks.

its going to get hot if you are pushing it to the limits.

16. borgqueenx thread starter macrumors 65816

i guess you guys are right, but im just suprised it uses more then the 3g/lte module, and disappointed.

17. Po1soNNN macrumors newbie

If you guys had most android phones you'd find its impossible to play any game without extreme battery loss and heat...

18. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

Is it getting overheated? Did it stop working? If not, then it got warmer than you're accustomed to, not overheated.

19. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

If a Nintendo 3DS who's main purpose is gaming can only last for 3-4 hours with mediocre graphics, how long do you expect an iPhone 5 that has pretty solid graphics and a ton of other uses to last?

20. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

It's not overheating if the phone continues to operate. It will shut off by itself if it actually overheats. As others have said, it more noticeable on the 5 because of the aluminum back dispersing the heat outward better than the glass case, but our hands feel it more as a result. Don't worry about it.