iPhone 5 not getting signal

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by gadget123, Nov 21, 2012.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Got my replacement Iphone 5 today. Put the sim in, getting a 3G signal and it connects to the internet but it keeps dropping between one bar and no service and won't text or call. :confused:

I have tried a reset and restore no joy. Any ideas? It's on IOS6.1

2. JamesWilliams12 macrumors member

3. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

I got it from ebay. I was told it was O2 network and that's what my sim is.

Offcourse maybe the seller got it wrong?

----------

Does it make any odds that I'm pay as you go? :confused:

4. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Despite words to the contrary, when one buys from ebay, the risk is quite high.

I know this doesn't help the present situation, but hopefully people reading this will pause and think before exposing themselves to the many types of fraud that occur on ebay.

And I am _not_ bashing ebay, I use it regularly.

Just not for expensive and complex items like smartphones.

Remember the saying it's "Buyer Beware". Ebay offers no protection despite the warm and fuzzy story that's told.

5. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

The phone was sealed in outer plastic so never expected any issue.

6. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Yes, unfortunately full time eBay sellers often own the inexpensive shrink wrap machines to make their items appear as new "sealed in plastic". There's no way to counter this nefarious practice. They will stop at nothing to generate big profits, they know the demand for used iPhones is astronomical.

I don't know about where you live, but in major metro west coast cities, people are actually being shot in order for robbers to take their iPhone in the light of day. It's very common. Being killed or mugged speaks to the universal demand for iDevices.

7. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well it was not a business seller just a private one.

So nobody any ideas what is up with the phone? What do I do? I can return to seller or go to the Apple store? Or is there anything I can try to fix it myself?