iPhone 5 not ringing during incoming call

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bitethis, Mar 2, 2014.

1. bitethis macrumors newbie

I have been having this issue since I got the phone from verizon. Incoming calls will ring on the callers end but my phone will not ring. If they leave a message I will get the alert that I have voicemail but if they do not I will no idea that anyone has called.

I have had the sim replaced and a replacement phone and it is still happening.

I was told that it could be something I have installed on the phone. fair enough.

I wiped the phone and started fresh and it is still happening.

The interesting thing is I am on an account with 2 other people both with iPhones and they are not having this issue.

Has anyone else had this happen?

2. westrock2000 macrumors 6502

Did you check the simple stuff like the little mute switch on the side? The volume of the ringer? What ring tone is selected? If you selected a custom song or ring tone and that file somehow got erased from the phone, the phone will just make no sound instead of moving to a default.

I had a very close call one morning with the alarm because of this.

3. bitethis thread starter macrumors newbie

yes all of those things have been ruled out. In fact when I first when into the verizon store the person helping me said "oh I know what the problem is" and checked all of those. I am going to call them this morning and give them exact times and numbers that have been missed. still trying to figure out how this is happening to one of of three phones on the same account and we all live fairly close to one another so I don't believe it to be a tower issue. I will post my findings. Thanks for the reply westrock

4. bitethis thread starter macrumors newbie

The tech was able to see the calls that never made it through. He reset the connection to my phone and we will give it another week. I am pretty sure the tech before him did the same thing but we will see.

5. badams002 macrumors member

Make sure that the 'Do Not Disturb' is on under Settings. You can tell if is on because you would have a moon symbol at the top right of your phone. If that is on, your phone will not ring if it is locked.

6. westrock2000 macrumors 6502

Well as luck would have it, the same thing started happening to me. The phone would just vibrate. I did have a custom ring tone, but even switching to the included ones did not fix it. Since I periodically do restores to reclaim space on the phone I went ahead and did the restore and now my phone rings again.

Not the best solution, but one that worked for me regardless :)

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems like this situation is somewhat different given that in your case the calls would come trough but just didn't ring (and vibrated) while in the case of OP he calls themselves simply wouldn't even get to the phone so the phone wouldn't even know there's a call to ring or vibrate or anything.

8. BulkHedd macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

I'm having this particular problem too. The phone will vibrate and the screen comes on showing the call but no sound. Even though the volume is turned up and it's not on silent mode.

I have a Pebble watch and that's usually how I realize there is a call coming in.

It's intermittent and other notifications (e-mail, iMessages) always play the sound.

I have an iPhone 5 running iOS 7.0.6

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

Again, that seems like a somewhat different issue than the one OP was experiencing.

10. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I was having this same problem with my iPhone. It got so bad Verizon offered to allow me to cancel my line with no ETF since they violated the contract by not providing good service. I decided against it. Now the issue is still intermittent, but not as bad.

Plus, been with Verizon for years, never had a reason to leave. Stick to what I know.

11. Sabarbs macrumors newbie

Option that fixes this

I read this somewhere. It helped! After checking that the "silence" button is off on side of the phone and the Do Not Disturb is off (in General Settings) Try this:
    Settings > General > Accessibility > scroll all the way down to Assistive Touch (click this and turn it on) > a circle appears on the screen - click this > Click on "Device" > check if it shows "Mute" > If Mute is showing click on the Mute bell so that the slash is gone and it says "Unmute"

Once you have "Unmute" showing > click anywhere on the screen to close this menu and click to turn off Assistive Touch

Done

Attached Files:

12. AprilWire macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 6 plus and it wasn't ringing on all my calls for some reason even though my phone wasn't on silent. It still vibrated and the screen showed I had a call, but there was no sound. I tried the assisted touch thing - hopefully it works!