iPhone 5 Not Showing 100% After Charging

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by linsam, Oct 15, 2012.

1. linsam macrumors 6502

linsam

Hi All. I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing a charging dilemma similar to mine. I charge my phone during the night. Before I go to disconnect from the charger in the morning, I see a 100% charge. Perfect. Right? The moment I disconnect from the charger, it drops to 99%...98%...97%. Very strange. The only way to see 100% is if I turn my phone off and then back on. This fixes the problem entirely. Thank goodness.

I got my phone on launch day. This has been happening since then. Good battery life...cannot complain. I set-up my phone from an iTunes backup. I am wondering if "Reset All Settings" might help.

Any thoughts as to why this might be happening? Any fix solutions? Thanks everyone.

Linda

2. JCfromTB macrumors member

I noticed that my battery indicator said "99%" as I pulled out the cord this morning. Didn't give it much thought, it had been charging all night.

I'll watch for it in the morning.

3. corym52 macrumors newbie

I have the same issue occasionally, never really thought much about it as my battery life is great. I am interested in if this is a larger issue. My phone is also a launch day phone.

4. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Anything within a few points of 100 is normal.

Apple has the best batteries & chargers of all.

Just charge it and enjoy. There's nothing wrong.

5. linsam thread starter macrumors 6502

linsam

The only reason I am concerned (a little) is that the battery percentage starts to drop quickly...pretty much without any usage. Once I restart my phone, the 100% comes back and stays for quite awhile. It is almost as if my phone needs a "refresh" every morning in order for the battery meter to work properly. I just think this is very strange. Perhaps a software update will fix this.

6. alnova1 macrumors member

alnova1

Mine was doing this so I started to shut the phone down after I pulled it off the charger and the phone stopped dropping after restart. I have also noticed that since I have been doing this I doesn't drop to 99 percent immediately after I take it off the charger. I'm still shutting it down but I might try it tomorrow without shutting it down after charging to see if its still doing this quickly..say after 15 minutes. I have a 5 by the way.

7. tsduke macrumors regular

I've had 2 4S iPhones and both experienced this. Best i can tell is the longer the phones stay on the charger after becoming fully charged the more likely hood this will happen.

8. linsam thread starter macrumors 6502

linsam

The restart really helps. I will wait for 15 minutes tomorrow as well. Good luck to us. :)

9. alnova1 macrumors member

alnova1

No i have been doing it right after I take it off the charger and its helped but what I have noticed though is that it hasn't been dropping right off the bat after I take it off the charger so I might see tomorrow how long it will go before it does. I would take it off and then restart it and I bet you it will be back to 100 percent and it will stay that way for awhile.

10. ZipZap macrumors 601

Does no one do a search before posting. Its old news that the phone may not always show 100% but be fully charged.

The phone does not charge just because its 1% off of 100%.

11. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Same here. Odd issue.. but I find the battery life to be the same regardless.

12. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

This has happened to every iPhone I have had (3GS and my 4), it's a bug in the software as it has never been fixed, so now every morning or evening when I charge it I simply restart it so it's properly calibrated. So it's a common problem and nothing is wrong with your phone.

13. darster Suspended

14. AJAAY macrumors regular

I had this issue with my 4s as well now with my 5. I find that when I initially plug it in, I wait a few minutes, then unplug and replug it back in.

Most of the time the next morning it reads 100% and stays 100% when I take it off the charger.

I also close out all the apps in the task switcher.

15. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

This should explain everything. Straight from Apple. Everyone is fine. All your iphones should be ok

http://www.electronista.com/articles/12/03/27/overcharging.not.an.issue.vp.says/

"Apple's VP for iPad product marketing, Michael Tchao, has responded to recent controversy surrounding the way the third-gen device handles charging. The executive tells AllThingsD that an iPad does indeed report 100 percent charge before it's actually finished, but that overcharging is not an issue. Once an iPad genuinely hits the 100 percent mark, it will discharge slightly and then recharge, repeating the cycle until the charge cable is disconnected.

Read more: http://www.electronista.com/articles/12/03/27/overcharging.not.an.issue.vp.says/#ixzz29QkJlN2J"

16. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

None of these "problems" existed before the battery percentage option existed. :)

17. aydensuzzivan macrumors newbie

Same here with my brand spanking new iPhone 5S. This is the second 5x iPhone I've had with charging oddities.