iPhone 5 on ios 6.0 iTunes will turn on randomly

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by California, Mar 22, 2015.

1. California macrumors 68040

California

On my iPhone 5, running 6.0 (I would love to get it up to 6.1.4, and I do have a back up for that version, but I don't think it is possible, am I correct) --

anyway on 6.0, I'll notice iTunes songs will start playing randomly (and wear down the battery) even though I have not turned it on.

Is this an ios6 issue?

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Randomly as in while the phone is just on its own lying down somewhere? Or while it's in your pocket or something like that?

3. California thread starter macrumors 68040

California

In my pocket.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

That's odd. Wouldn't the phone normally be locked in the pocket, and thus would't register any interaction or perform any action that requires interaction?

5. California thread starter macrumors 68040

California

No lock on ios6 as far as I know. This is 6.0.0

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Screen lock--basically the power/sleep button. There's also the auto-lock setting and passcode setting if that might be needed too.

7. California thread starter macrumors 68040

California

That would make sense if I was using iTunes to listen to music on the phone on a regular basis. But I am not. It is randomly turning iTunes music on, and ONLY the iTunes app is turned on.

Very strange. I recall there used to be something that happens to an iPod or iPhone if it was jostled or shook. Not sure if this is some weird old app that is turning on the music or not.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

It kind of doesn't make sense on any level. The fact that it's using something to play back music that you aren't even using just adds on to the strangeness, but the fact that it's doing anything at all while in your pocket and locked, is rather strange to begin with (unless perhaps it's not actually locked, which addresses one part of the mystery).

Not sure if shaking would play a role (I think it's usually linked to "undo" action or perhaps changing the equalizer), but perhaps something related to Control Center or something like that.

9. Vancity Fob macrumors newbie

Reviving this old thread, just go to the music settings and turn off Shake to Shuffle. With it on, my iPhones start playing music when i shake/jostle them while they're locked.

10. California thread starter macrumors 68040

California

Thanks but shake to shuffle wasn't on in the first place. But this is what it is doing. Wondering if this has something to do with the headphones being plugged in when it happens (though I think it happens regardless)...

11. ThunderMasterMind macrumors 6502

ThunderMasterMind

This really doesn't make any sense. Ok let me try to piece this together, The phone is in standby (locked with screen off) and it decides, "Hey, I wanna play some music!" Then launches the Music app and plays music in the background.

Is this correct?

12. California thread starter macrumors 68040

California

Yes

13. ThunderMasterMind macrumors 6502

ThunderMasterMind

I'd try going to settings>general>reset>Reset all settings

If that doesn't work then I'd back it up then go into settings>general>reset>Erase all content and settings and see what happens.