Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Hey guys, what battery life do you get on LTE on iPhone 5? Post your statistics :)

I don't have a screenshot right now since I just charged my iPhone 5. But for being over two years old it still gets pretty good battery life with a mix of LTE and wifi (I can't use LTE-only because of a limited data plan). I can usually wake up on the morning and not have to charge until I go to bed. When I do have an LTE signal, it's usually pretty good, between 3 and 5 bars. Thankfully Verizon seems to do well with at least 3 bars.

Ultra AleM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
Italy
I don't have a screenshot right now since I just charged my iPhone 5. But for being over two years old it still gets pretty good battery life with a mix of LTE and wifi (I can't use LTE-only because of a limited data plan). I can usually wake up on the morning and not have to charge until I go to bed. When I do have an LTE signal, it's usually pretty good, between 3 and 5 bars. Thankfully Verizon seems to do well with at least 3 bars.

Okay, I can't even reach 4 pm on LTE from the morning. What's your secret? :D light usage?

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Okay, I can't even reach 4 pm on LTE from the morning. What's your secret? :D light usage?

I try I keep usage pretty light on LTE. Safari, Facebook, some email, iMessage, etc. but I also have access to wifi at home and at school. I play games pretty rarely and only on wifi.

Ultra AleM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
Italy
I try I keep usage pretty light on LTE. Safari, Facebook, some email, iMessage, etc. but I also have access to wifi at home and at school. I play games pretty rarely and only on wifi.

My usage is way more intense, that's why. Thanks!

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
It depends on your signal strength. When I was with AT&T I could go all day. Never switched it off from LTE and just charge nightly.

When I switched to T-Mobile my iPhone 5 battery started draining fast. This was noticeable within the first couple of hours of me switching lol. I'd have to charge frequently. Sometimes by midday I'd be at 30% already which was ridiculous since my usage pattern never changed (before I'd be around 70% or so).

I generally turn LTE off now (unless I need it) and the battery lasts almost as long as when I was with AT&T but not quite.

The iPhone 5s I got as a test drive from Tmobile wasn't this bad but I did notice its battery life worsen after the update that came out in December.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
As psingh01 mentioned, when talking about LTE and battery life it is most dependent on how often yr phone is struggling to find an LTE signal.
If you want the easiest way to ensure to conserve battery, switch to 3G instead of LTE.
This is true in most parts of the world not just the USA for the next few years while LTE networks are still being extended.
If you are not getting full bars (or dots) when you are connected to LTE then your phone is spending battery looking for its network.

nox5

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2013
In my experience iPhone 5 on lte could not last all day and 5s has 30% charge left at the and of the day.

bigdaddy223

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2014
It depends on your signal strength. When I was with AT&T I could go all day. Never switched it off from LTE and just charge nightly.

When I switched to T-Mobile my iPhone 5 battery started draining fast. This was noticeable within the first couple of hours of me switching lol. I'd have to charge frequently. Sometimes by midday I'd be at 30% already which was ridiculous since my usage pattern never changed (before I'd be around 70% or so).

I generally turn LTE off now (unless I need it) and the battery lasts almost as long as when I was with AT&T but not quite.

The iPhone 5s I got as a test drive from Tmobile wasn't this bad but I did notice its battery life worsen after the update that came out in December.

Switch back to att.. leave t- mob behind... Just another reason to avoid t-mob,,,

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Switch back to att.. leave t- mob behind... Just another reason to avoid t-mob,,,

No thanks. Unlimited data, unlimited text for less than I was paying on AT&T for their "unlimited" data that is throttled to hell after 5GB...and no contract. Plus it includes tethering. I'll deal with the less than optimal LTE signal at my location. My phone sits on my desk while I work. It's not a big deal to keep it plugged in while I'm there. The bandwidth is there when I need it. I can get a signal booster from T-Mobile too which I haven't done yet.

If AT&T wants me back they're going to have to give me more and charge less.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
I couldn't imagine how it would be on an iPhone 5. My iPhone 6's battery gets trashed when I'm out and about using LTE on Verizon. Probably a biggie is that since I'm out and about, there obviously is more natural light, so its hard to see the screen. This results in the brightness going up to 80-100%. Also, I'm more likely to take photos and such, which will reduce the battery more. Only got 4.5 hours on my iPhone 6 today. I was, however dropping into some areas of no service, terrible 3G, 1x, etc. Usual usage for me between school and home (good signal most of the time, regular 30% brightness) I get 7+ hours. If I'm home the entire time, 8.5 hours isn't unusual. A family member of mine can't get more than 4 hours on their iPhone 5 no matter what.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.