Iphone 5 on Straight Talk (Verizon)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nrweaver, Nov 10, 2013.

1. nrweaver macrumors member

I was wondering if anyone has experience with using an Iphone 5 purchased through straight talk on the Verizon network (not one of the bring your own device options).

What have your experiences been like?
    Are you getting LTE?
    If you had a Verizon phone before are you noticing any difference?

Also does anyone know if the 5S is coming?

Thanks for any help.

2. Cmw9555 macrumors newbie

I bought the Wife the refurbished straight talk iphone 5 last week. It was only $400 online and it works great. No LTE but everything else including visual voicemail works, very happy!

3. Greg M macrumors 6502

I thought VVM didn't work on straight talk.

4. Cmw9555 macrumors newbie

Visual voicemail works on the straight talk branded iphone 5 which operates on Verizon's network. It doesn't work on my iphone 5s which uses straight talk att

5. Greg M macrumors 6502

What if you use the verizon 5s with BYOP on straight talk using the straight talk verizon access code?

6. nrweaver thread starter macrumors member

Oh, I was hoping that it would have LTE. That is probably a deal breaker.

7. Cmw9555 macrumors newbie

Like I menioned, I am currently running the verizon iphone 5s on straight talk with the BYOP program. Everything works except for visual voicemail. Use youmail to get around this. It took me about 30 mins to get the LTE data working, straight talk has recently updated their carrier bundle so you no longer need to screw around with APN settings non-sense its great! However in some cases you may need to call straight talk and tell them to "re-provision your phone for TFTDATA" before it is all g2g.

8. nfl46 macrumors 603

Edit: LTE works on Verizon devices with an AT&T LTE sim card? When did that start?

9. solo118 macrumors 65816

Is MMS working fine?

I know no LTE, but is it at least running something faster than their current "3G" that would be on a Verizon 4S?

My wife has Verizon and I want out! If the data is somewhat faster than the 4S currently gets I am sure she will be happy

10. Greg M macrumors 6502

Where did you find that?

11. solo118 macrumors 65816

It is on their website, either white or black and I assume he got the 16gb version.

I am looking to get the same :D

12. aneftp macrumors 68040

Only Verizon iPhone 5S and verizon iPhone 5C have LTE bands that both tmobile USA and ATT support.

While tmobile/ATT/verizon iPhone 5S and 5C are hardware the same exact phones. Only verizon iPhone 5s5c are white listed to be activated on verizon network. But they will also get be unlocked for att and tmobile lte access.

You cannot take an unlocked att iPhone 5S or 5C over to verzion even though they are the same phones.

13. Greg M macrumors 6502

Well they must have sold out of them because they're no longer listed.

14. solo118 macrumors 65816

You are right, sorry I saw it there 1-2 weeks ago.

Maybe they will pop up again in the near future!