Iphone 5 or 5s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 3dshadow, Aug 27, 2015.

1. 3dshadow macrumors newbie

I have been all android (I have Note 4 and Huawei Mate 7) but I have been looking for a small good quality phone as a backup. None of the really small android phones that work on Tmobile have impressed me so I was thinking about getting a refurb Iphone (I have been wanting to use an Iphone anyway). I have read that the 5s is quite a bit faster than the 5 and I do not want to get a phone that cannot run the latest updates. With the new Iphone coming out I assume prices on the 5 and 5s might drop a bit. Is the 5s worth the extra $150 or more over the 5. Thanks. Bill

2. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

5S without any doubt, much better HW and overall quality.

3. Martin81 macrumors regular

Martin81

Check out which LTE bands your carrier supports and then check the phone specs. The 5S supports (depending on model / region) more LTE bands.

4. Merkie macrumors 68020

5S. No crippled LTE, TouchID, faster.
    5 camera is also 8MP, although the 5S arguably has a slightly better camera.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

6. mechanicalhead macrumors newbie

I had both. The slate iPhone 5 is sexy and I didn't notice the difference in the performance. In your case I would get the iPhone 5s, simply because it's newer and the touch ID is convenient to have.

7. nordique, Aug 29, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2015

nordique macrumors 6502a

5s

Its much more powerful; The A7 chip is in a different league than the A6 on the 5 (its similar in power to the A8 in the 6/6+ actually), its got a better camera for low light with more features (more akin to the 6, whereas the 5 has what was essentially the 4s's camera refined), its got a very convenient touch ID sensor, among other little upgrades here and there such as a slightly larger battery (on the battery tests I ran, the 5s would have 13-17% life left depending when the 5 would die, usually closer to 13% though) and faster ram - and I would wager it should support at least a few more iOS updates than the 5 in the future.

Don't be fooled by the fact it looks the same outside as a 5; internally its in a different league and well worth the extra investment especially from a longevity perspective