iPhone 5 or iOS 5 functionality question.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dreamliner330, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Dreamliner330, Sep 1, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2011

Dreamliner330 macrumors 6502a

I'm new to the MacRumor forums, please don't flame me, too hard.

I currently have a Android phone on Sprint. (CDMA works better than GSM in my area and the Verizon iP4 wasn't available)

I'm due for an upgrade and trying to determine my next step. I know the iPhone is probably coming to Sprint later this year, so I am trying to decide if some of the features I need will be in iOS 5 or the a jailbroken iOS 4/5.

I like some features of Android and others of iOS.

I love the iPhone screen and hardware design, but I love the ability to my calendar agenda on my Android homescreen. I'm not a fan of calendar notifications, my worry is with the current iOS, if I don't properly time the notification, I may dismiss it and forget the appointment.

The way my current phone is setup is I have my next ~10 calendar appointments on my main homescreen, all the time, without having to open my calendar app, I just turn the phone on, and there it is...no need to actively open an app.

I see iOS 5 has a whole lot of features, especially the new lockscreen information. If I could have my upcoming calendar events on my lockscreen (not just notifications), that would sufficiently resolve my dilemma. Is this possible?

Also, I really enjoy the LED notification light on my phone, I'd hate to miss a notification simply because I wasn't near my phone when I got the message/call/email.

Any thoughts as to if the iOS 5 will address my concerns?

2. 184550 Guest

It seems, then, that your remaining concern is the ability to get notifications via an LED source.

How important is that?

IMO, it shouldn't be a deal breaker if everything else about the iPhone works for you.

I imagine that there is/ will be a JB app that will allow for LED notifications via the iPhones flash.

3. Dreamliner330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

^Using the Flash as a notification LED would be awesome...does that exist currently?

Also, I still don't know the answer to the calender agenda in regards to iOS.

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

You can use the LED as a visual notification in iOS 5. It's a universal accessibility feature.

As far as Calendar agenda goes you can't do that on the home screen but you can see it in the iOS 5 Notification Center (pull down on home screen or in any app). You can show the next 1, 5 or 10 events.

5. 184550 Guest

No idea, I don't really keep up with the JB community.

iOS 5 will have that functionality.

However, it's worth pointing out that everything you want calendar wise is currently available via JBing.

6. Dreamliner330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So your saying, for certain, LED notification IS a part of iOS 5?

Also, your saying the pull down Notification Center will show the upcoming appointments and NOT just upcoming 'calendar notifications'?

If it is the calendar agenda and not simply notifications, is that available on the lockscreen also?

The only thing I've seen for iOS 5 is the official Apple video...

7. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

As of the current beta, no not available on the lock screen.
    And until the phone is actually released, no one can conclusively speak toward the LEDs either.
    Something about it just sounds very un-Apple-like to me though.
    I mean, if they were going to do this they would have done it years ago.
    LED notification is by no stretch "new".

8. aztooh macrumors 6502a

The iPhone 4, running iOS 5, has the ability to use the LED flash as a notification...and there are videos showing it in action. Of course we won't know exactly how it's implemented on the new device until it's released, but I doubt they would take away the feature.

9. Dreamliner330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Pull down to calendar agenda is no faster than pulling up the calendar app. I gotta have this on the lockscreen.

Arg. "Apple, why must you mess with my head like this" :(

Still waiting for the 'add to playlist' option on my iPod Touch. :rolleyes:

----------

Another feature that I use all the time has to do with my Dialer. I can pull up the numberpad dialer and start typing in someones phone number or name (letters on numbers) and it will quick search my contact list. I've found this to be much faster than browsing a contact list or even searching one.

Is a dialpad phonebook search as I've described part of iOS 5?

10. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It's a universal access feature for the deaf but anyone can use it. It's almost definitely staying.

Nope.

11. Dreamliner330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arg! It's definitely faster.

I wish there was a video that showed the calendar options in the notification center settings menu.

12. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Nope.
    Instead of opening the dialer, you can open the Search box and start typing but it will still take two taps to dial the person. One to select the person and one to select which phone number.
    Essentially its only one extra tap.

13. Dreamliner330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

^Ive thought of that, but its the extra second it takes to pull up the contact, then choose the number to call..its an extra second, for each call. It adds up.

All the features I'm asking about come from previous phones:

From my Blackberry Days:
    Dialer Search
    Calendar Agenda

From my iPod Classic Days:
    Add currently playing song to 'on-the-go playlist.'

From my Nextel Days (and every phone since):
    LED notification

14. shandyman Suspended

you mean custom playlists? that can be done already in iOS4

you don't need a dialpad phonebook, just use spotlight search, swipe left on the home screen, start typing someones name and their contact details appear.

As stated, iPhone 4's can have the flash LED as a notification light with iOS5

15. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Essentially that takes no more effort. It's just a different way to do it (search for name instead of number).

16. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

I don't get that.
    I get the contact but not the details.
    I still need to tap the contact to get the details and then tap the phone number.

17. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It shows up like any other Notification:

[​IMG]

The NC screen view. Additional events show up under the first.

[​IMG]

Images pulled from ismashphone.com (I'm currently updating to iOS 5 beta 7 so I can't personally provide images).

18. Dreamliner330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

^If you had the 'view in lockscreen' on, based on the way its currently set, would it show the next 5 calendar appointments or 5 calendar notifications?

19. shandyman Suspended

I should have clarified, the contact is there and you tap to get the number. Takes an additional fraction of a section. Still it's close enough to what is being asked for.

20. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

No, that just means Calendar events show up in notification center or not.

Where it says "Show X Recent Items" you have the choice of showing the next 1,5 or 10 events. As soon as I'm restored from backup (~20-30 min) I'll post some pictures showing what 5 events looks like.

21. Dreamliner330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

^Please also show lockscreen as well. This is more important to me. Thanks so much! ;)

22. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I never really have appointments set so I don't see them but here is a screenshot of what it looks like on the lock screen:

[​IMG]

Dragging the app icon results in the phone unlocking and being taken to the app.

23. Dreamliner330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't mean to be redundant, but on the second picture are those event reminders or the events themselves?

Basically what I'm asking is: could you please add 5 or so calendar appointments for later today without setting a reminder and then post a screenshot of the lockscreen....

24. QuarterSwede, Sep 1, 2011

QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

The lock screen is just showing you calendar reminders that are due (you have the option to set how early it tells you though). It won't show you what is upcoming without setting a reminder. For that you would have to jailbreak and use lockinfo.

25. Dreamliner330, Sep 1, 2011

Dreamliner330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

^Darn. Thanks for the quick reply on that.

Any word on on a quick/easy way to add the currently playing song to a playlist?

The other thing I thought of too is text wrapping in the browser. Will Safari in iOS 5 wrap text to fit the screen when you zoom in?