iPhone 5 overheating

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nhlfreak98, Jul 18, 2014.

1. nhlfreak98 macrumors 6502

These past couple days my iPhone has been overheating and the battery seems to last about 2 hours. I've had to charge it 3 times today. I don't use it that much. I close all my apps and disable all unnecessary settings that I don't use and it still drains. My phone was at 90 percent no apps were opened in the background I look at it 5 minutes later it's at 83 and it's hot. Should I go to Apple and replace my battery?

2. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Reset it (hold the sleep and home button until logo appears). That should resolve it, but... It started for a reason and that reason could come back, e.g., and app repeatedly trying to authenticate. If it does come back, back up your phone then restore it as new and *don't* restore from a backup or add any e-mail accounts to it. Just confirm that it doesn't drain at 1 - 2% per minute.

This is actually quite common and with a little elbow grease *if* it comes back you can track it down to an account or app.

Good luck!

Edit: I forgot to mention that after confirming the phone is OK with no apps or accounts, try restoring the whole thing from your backup and see if it's still OK. If not, you'll need to restore as new and add accounts and apps back one by one to see which one is the offender.