Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chillip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 16, 2013
My 18 month old 5 has developed a screen issue. It has developed a faint pint rectangle which covers most of the screen. It's almost a perfect rectangle. Can be seen on white background. Not warranty so can't take it back to Apple. Any ideas? Thanks

chillip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 16, 2013
This is what it looks like.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 801

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Are you from Europe? We have 2 years warranty (regardless of what Apple says) by law here. If not, I'd call Apple anyway and ask them if they can do anything.

chillip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 16, 2013
I have twice, they won't budge. I always though it was 1 year warranty. I am in the uk.

Crichton333

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2014
Whats the carrier or store you bought it, I can also confirm a 2 year warranty is what it should have.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
EU law states two years warranty, regardless of what Apple say. Ask to speak to a manager and go armed with the details.

https://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1677034/Two-year-warranty-EU-law.html

makerleone

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2014
USA
I also had an same issue to my iPhone 5 display. advising you to contact your nearest Apple store. thank you.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Are you from Europe? We have 2 years warranty (regardless of what Apple says) by law here. If not, I'd call Apple anyway and ask them if they can do anything.

That's not accurate.

The UK has a 1 year warranty, but the ability to make a claim (via a court) for a number of years, if you believe the device in question failed prematurely,

Pretty much the rest if Europe has the 2 year warranty, but no abilty to make claims beyond that.

In the UK, it's The Sale of Goods Act.

----------

EU law states two years warranty, regardless of what Apple say. Ask to speak to a manager and go armed with the details.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1677034/Two-year-warranty-EU-law.html

From that link:

However, as this is a directive is only partially adopted by the UK, its use is a grey area.

We have a 1 year warranty by law, that's it.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
That's not accurate.

The UK has a 1 year warranty, but the ability to make a claim (via a court) for a number of years, if you believe the device in question failed prematurely,

Pretty much the rest if Europe has the 2 year warranty, but no abilty to make claims beyond that.

In the UK, it's The Sale of Goods Act.

----------

From that link:

We have a 1 year warranty by law, that's it.

So how come Apple go along with the EU law then?

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
So how come Apple go along with the EU law then?

They don't go along with anything, there's a (legal) difference between the EU claim period (which is 6 years in the UK) and Apple's one year warranty period.

For example, let's say you had a top of the range (£699) iPhone 5S that you purchased on release day (September 21st 2013).

You have a 12 month warranty, which will repair/replace any faults with your 5S, but...

Let's say your 5S wouldn't turn on one day, when it was 5 years & 11 months old.

You then have a the legal right/ability to make a claim against Apple, for a free repair (you'd also have to pay for & supply proof of premature failure to back up your "claim").

This is done in a court of law, with a judge either agreeing with you that your top of the line/premium device had lasted an unreasonable amount of time and that Apple should cover the costs, or he/she would rule that it had lasted a reasonable amount of time and you had no "claim".

As I said, there's a difference between a claim and a country's legally binding warranty.

Last edited:

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
They don't go along with anything, there's a (legal) difference between the EU claim period (which is 6 years in the UK) and Apple's one year warranty period.

For example, let's say you had a top of the range (£699) iPhone 5S that you purchased on release day (September 21st 2013).

You have a 12 month warranty, which will repair/replace any faults with your 5S, but...

Let's say your 5S wouldn't turn on one day, when it was 5 years & 11 months old.

You then have a the legal right/ability to make a claim against Apple, for a free repair (you'd also have to pay for & supply proof of premature failure to back up your "claim").

This is done in a court of law, with a judge either agreeing with you that your top of the line/premium device had lasted an unreasonable amount of time and that Apple should cover the costs, or he/she would rule that it had lasted a reasonable amount of time and you had no "claim".

As I said, there's a difference between a claim and a country's legally binding warranty.

In the EU, manufacturers have to give a 2 year warranty on new items. We are in the EU.
John Lewis broadcasts this 2 year warranty, but many other retailers have to be 'reminded' of it.
Sure in the 2-6 year period it's a court jobbie, but not the first two.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
In the EU, manufacturers have to give a 2 year warranty on new items. We are in the EU.
John Lewis broadcasts this 2 year warranty, but many other retailers have to be 'reminded' of it.
Sure in the 2-6 year period it's a court jobbie, but not the first two.

John Lewis don't broadcast any EU policy.

Their 2 year warranty policy is just that, their own policy that "does not affect your statutory rights".

We are in the EU, but the UK opted out of the 2 year warranty policy in favour of the 6 year claim period.

Look up the Sale of Goods Act...

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
John Lewis don't broadcast any EU policy.

Their 2 year warranty policy is just that, their own policy that "does not affect your statutory rights".

We are in the EU, but the UK opted out of the 2 year warranty policy in favour of the 6 year claim period.

Look up the Sale of Goods Act...

Having made successful EU warranty claims in the past, my take on it is that the EU ruling outweighs any UK ruling - as it does in most respects. Many retailers will dismiss it, but the larger ones (and I expect Apple too) tend to honour it if you speak to a manager.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Having made successful EU warranty claims in the past, my take on it is that the EU ruling outweighs any UK ruling - as it does in most respects. Many retailers will dismiss it, but the larger ones (and I expect Apple too) tend to honour it if you speak to a manager.

They may well do, but that's because they are using their discretion and choosing to do that.

What they're not doing is offering it because they're legally obliged to.

Have you read the Sale of Goods Act?

Clearly not, because if you had you'd know that you're barking up the wrong tree.

Nickerbocker

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2012
I just noticed this on my iPhone 5. This particular iPhone 5 was a refurb given to me at an Apple Store when the mic went out on my original hardware.

So my original purchase date was around 1/2013. I'm in the US. I'm not sure if it is worth calling Apple about.

Any advice?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.