Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roguetash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
So I have my beautiful iPhone 5 plugged in and it's currently running pandora but it's still losing charge.

Anyone have any ideas to why this might be happening?

Thanks!

julius071

macrumors regular
May 15, 2011
I have a similar problem too, when I charge my phone over night and I see it as 100% and once I remove the charger, it comes to 99%. I'm planning to go to the Apple store tomorrow and get it fixed.

Roguetash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
I have a similar problem too, when I charge my phone over night and I see it as 100% and once I remove the charger, it comes to 99%. I'm planning to go to the Apple store tomorrow and get it fixed.

Looks like I may have to see a Genius about my problem then :cool:

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Neither of these are really problems, it's quite possible to use the battery quicker than the phone is able to charge itself, and dropping 1% off unplugging is not something to be concerned about.

julius071

macrumors regular
May 15, 2011
Neither of these are really problems, it's quite possible to use the battery quicker than the phone is able to charge itself, and dropping 1% off unplugging is not something to be concerned about.
Well, it's a brand new phone and you want everything to be working the a great manner.

Furifo

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
Are you plugged in via USB to a computer or are you using the wall charger?

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Are you plugged in via USB to a computer or are you using the wall charger?

Almost certainly a computer. Most people charge with computers that do not provide enough amperage like a wall charger will. Try charging it with a beefed up iPad wall charger vs. a USB 1.0 port. The iPad will probably charge your phone from toast to 100% in an hour, hour and a half.

Rickity Rick

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2007
This happened on my iPad also. I think it's the same thing as the MacBook Pro: it never fully charges to 100% when the battery is at 95% capacity.

Say you have a MacBook Pro that is at 100% charge and plugged into the charger. You remove the charger and the MacBook Pro is then running on battery. You let the battery drain to 96% and plug it back in and you see that the battery won't charge.

I think Apple is adopting this feature in their iPhones now.

This is poorly explained. I'm sure someone can explain it a lot clearer.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
This happened on my iPad also. I think it's the same thing as the MacBook Pro: it never fully charges to 100% when the battery is at 95% capacity.

Say you have a MacBook Pro that is at 100% charge and plugged into the charger. You remove the charger and the MacBook Pro is then running on battery. You let the battery drain to 96% and plug it back in and you see that the battery won't charge.

I think Apple is adopting this feature in their iPhones now.

This is poorly explained. I'm sure someone can explain it a lot clearer.

You can't overcharge your battery. :D

mojo pin

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest,US
I don't know if this is at all the same issue but I've noticed that in the mornings when my alarm goes off, if I've hit the snooze a bunch of times, the battery reading will be under 100% when I finally wake up despite the fact that it's still plugged in to the charger. So I'll unplug it, then plug it back in and the weird thing is that as soon as it's plugged in again, it will suddenly show it's 100% charged even though it's not.

Anyone else having that happen? It kind of sucks not having that full charge when I unplug it in the moring (unless I want to plug it back in again and let it charge back up). I didn't notice that happening the first 5 or 6 days I had the phone... It's just been the last few days.

A420Turbo

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2010
NY
I was using tomtom the other day and went to check something and saw this. Now I get the part where u can be using more power than the phone can charge but the battery icon stayed that way even after closing every app with nothing running and was still losing battery. I would have to manually unplug the phone and plug it back in to get it to charge again. Already happened to me twice other than that no complaints with the phone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 339
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.