iPhone 5 poor battery life? (SOLVED, READ!)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by XboxMySocks, Oct 3, 2012.

1. XboxMySocks, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012

XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Solution here

I unplugged my phone at 7 this morning and atm its 11:17= 3 and a bit hours. It's at 45%. I feel this is abnormal and I should call Apple and see about a replacement. I have full cycled the battery 2 times now with no improvement. Help? location services, fetch, most push notifs, etc. LTE off. brightness at half. Still terrible battery life

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

definitely not normal. I currently have 5 hours, 51 minutes of usuage.....1 day, 5 hours of standby time, and am at 55%

3. XboxMySocks, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012

XboxMySocks thread starter macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

4 hours of usage and 4 hours of standby... donno how that's possible

Attached Files:

4. jls1986 macrumors member

Thats really bad. Mine says 6 hours 22 minutes usage, and 18 hours 37 minutes standby, since the last full charge and battery is at 44%

5. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

from my understanding ( i didnt get it either) users on here told me that stand by includes the total time since unpluged. not sure i assumed standby would only be time its not being used.

6. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Whenever I see stats that show usage is almost equal to standby AND you haven't been using the phone the whole time....it's usually a bad app that's still running.

Kill all your apps and restart the phone just to be sure.

-Kevin

7. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

that makes since. thanks!

8. XboxMySocks thread starter macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

I appreciate this info, but I only have 2 applications running, messages and safari+wifi. Occasinally music but I quit it when I'm not using it! Do you not think this is an issue or should I call?

9. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

Battery life on my iPhone 5 is awful, don't know I'm going to manage ;).

[​IMG]

10. XboxMySocks thread starter macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Yeah I'm really jealous at this point. What exactly is your setup?

11. jmxp69 macrumors 6502

I thought I was doing well until I saw Dave's. I'm happy with this though. Not much in terms of usage, but the OP cited standby concerns and I'm fortunate enough not to have the same issue. Solid LTE here though.

Attached Files:

12. apierrec macrumors 6502

Interested in the exact set-up as well.

13. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

That's awful. This is how my battery has been faring this morning, and this is very typical results for me. Get a replacement.

Attached Files:

14. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

If you charge the phone to 100%.....take it off the charger......but don't use the phone....if the Usage and Standby go up together, then you definitely have some kind of process running all the time.

If that happens, and a hard reset doesn't fix it....then yes, I would go to Apple.

-Kevin

----------

Curious...did you guys restore from an iCloud backup or start as new?

-Kevin

15. gCloud macrumors 6502a

photoshop?

16. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Yeah...this seems a little too good.

I notice from the shot you likely don't have iCloud setup? Is that true?

-Kevin

17. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

I do not, as its pointless to me. I'm sure it helps me get these results though!

18. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Definitely not normal. Battery life on my iPhone five has definitely been better than it was on my iPhone 4S. But sometimes, things can get a little wonky. Here's the solutions that I have found:

1) Reset all settings. Had to do this several times over the years after upgrading iOS versions or restoring from older backup.

If that doesn't fix it.....

2) Restore as New. This is the nuclear option, but I've personally never had it not work at fixing battery life issues. You will lose app data, but contacts stored in iCloud will still be there. (Before I did this I would make sure I have contacts backed up to gmail or on my Mac. I don't totally trust anybody's cloud)

19. XboxMySocks thread starter macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

I feel like its a jailbreak process that's dicked it. I restored from a jailbroken iCloud backup. Going to restore and try and report back. Thank you all VERY much <3

20. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

Nothing special, I don't do anything out the ordinary (probably biggest deviation from normal is I don't allow most 3rd party apps to use notification centre or push).

Brightness set to just under half (turned down lower manually when it's dark).

I might be lucky, but I never lose 3G signal, so the phone never has to search for a lost signal.

Other than that, pretty stock, I don't switch anything off because its supposed to help battery life, always seems worse when you start fiddling with all the normal settings.

LOL, No, for what purpose? There is no competition or prize for this sort of thing.

21. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I think that comment was directed towards spazma7ik.

-Kevin

22. SunnyStudioNeo macrumors regular

Did you have location or Bluetooth turned on? My iPhone 5 battery is pretty good, almost tripled from my old iPhone 4.

23. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

the Apple store can check your battery stats via a test they have. They link to your phone in the store. I did this with my iPhone 4.

Just a few BIG variables include:
    How much music do you listen to? Music has very low drain, so the usage is high and battery change in minimal.

How strong is your signal? Weak signal strength means higher battery drain.

And, of course, the ones mentioned like GPS/location, screen brightness, etc.

I never have had the high numbers you see on the forums unless I use it as in iPod or something. I spend a lot of time on safari, and typically get 5-7 hours of use.