iPhone 5: Possible display between 3.5" and 4"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Reach9, May 16, 2011.

1. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

According to this article on 9to5 Mac: http://www.9to5mac.com/67397/toshiba-is-building-a-4-inch-720p-retina-display-maybe-for-apple/

Toshiba is working on displays for cell phones, including iPhone displays. This article states that they are working on displays ranging from 3.3" to 4" at HD. Now Apple definitely won't go below 3.5", so theres more hope for a larger screen..or them staying at the same size.

Thoughts?

[​IMG]

Gotta admit, the iPhone 4 (left) screen doesn't look so appealing comparatively.

2. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

3. ap3604 macrumors 68000

My first thought is that this is very old speculation. Not sure why 9to5 is trying to spin it off like they are reporting something new...

My second thought is: Why does the 4' mockup always look terrible by going all the way to the side edges? Make the screen taller vertically but leave a little black bezel around the sides so it doesn't look like ****.

4. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

I hope they keep the screen size at 3.5" if they are planning on going with the iPhone 4 form factor. The 4" screen looks stupid on it.

5. iRach macrumors member

iRach

It does need some kind of border at the sides.

6. Reach9 thread starter macrumors 68020

Reach9

It's not something new. It's new information that supports the possibility of a larger screen on the iPhone 5.

I don't think we'll be seeing a 4" screen on the iPhone 5. Toshiba says they are working on sizes from 3.3 to 4, so i'm guessing 3.7"

7. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Obviously its not beautiful, it's a mockup. If Apple were to increase the screen size they would do it in a way that maintained the appealing look of the iPhone. I believe that mockup was made simply so show that a 4" display would fit within the iPhone 4 body.