iPhone iPhone 5 power button busted, jailbreak DOA

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by hakr100, May 17, 2013.

1. hakr100 macrumors 6502a

The power button on my iPhone 5 now works only sporadically to turn the phone on or off, and there apparently is no user fix, so I restored the phone back to Apple specs and will visit the nearby Apple store tomorrow.

I saved my jailbreak stuff with Packagebackup. I presume, however, that as I am now running 6.1.4 and the replacement phone Apple gives me will also be running 6.1.4, I am dead in the water in terms of re-jailbreaking until the guys release one for 6.1.4 (not likely from what I have read here), or for 7.0 sometime in the future.

Assumptions correct?

Thanks!

2. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Yup. I'm in the same boat. I had to restore my phone to 6.1.4 so I could get my phone replaced. Lost my jailbreak :(

3. TC25 macrumors 68020

No, because they are not assumptions, they're facts. C'mon back in about a year when there's an iOS 7 jailbreak.

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

What's the deal with these power buttons breaking?

5. newone757 macrumors 6502

I dunno but mine has been fading for a long time now. I'm gonna hold out untill its dead. I dont use my jailbreak for much but Im just too accustomed to quickreply and zephr and other little tweaks like that.

6. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

The power button on my 2nd iPhone 5 went dead too. It one side worked, and the other side didn't. Now my home button is trashed too. The quality control on this phone was pretty *******, let's be real.

I can't wait for the 5S, hopefully it will have a capacitive home button like rumors suggest.

7. LithePanther macrumors 6502

Just use assistive touch to turn off the phone and the home button to turn it on.

8. maxosx macrumors 68020

It's normal. No big deal unless you're out of warranty. Apple builds products that generate maximum profits for the company. They didn't end up with the billions they have by ignoring the advantages of some early hardware failures.

9. linds15 macrumors 6502a

my first 5 had this too, lucky for me i had it switched before the jailbreak came out, just riding the wave now

10. TC25 macrumors 68020

blah, blah, blah. :rolleyes:

11. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Are you trying to say that they are building prematurely failing power buttons to generate more revenue?

If so, that's absurd. Premature failures occur within the warranty period as well (my phone, my friends phone, the apple rep's phone included just from my personal experiences). These are all iphone 5s, and we are all within the warranty replacement period.

Thus, they must replace our phones if we bring it in. You think they make make money off of this? It's a loss for them.

It's likely just a poorly designed or manufactured mechanism switch for the power button; something that was sacrificed in order to keep the phone thin and light.

12. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

I've owned every model of iphone and I've never "broken" anything on any one of them. But then I take care of my belongings.

13. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

That's a bummer. Did you look into getting the home button replaced by a 3rd party? Not sure how much it is or what, or if is something more internal with your phone that is causing the home button to break.

If you want to live with the home button being broken, there was the option of using Auxo. But again, that's with living with your home button being broken.

I could see why you would want a replacement if it's been less than a year since owning the phone and it's breaking on you.

14. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

The iPhone 5's home button isn't affected by the warranty sticker right?

15. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

Somewhat true. Remember the problems on the iPhone 4 with the home button? I had one where sometimes it tool 4-5 presses to get the home button to work and it was a pretty big problem from what I remember on these forums. I ended up selling mine when the 4S came out.

16. hakr100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, Apple doesn't pay attention to the features I want because it is too busy with the features that have nothing to do with making a better telephone.

I couldn't care less about the funky little cameras on smart phones. What I would like are screens that you can actually see outdoors in bright sunlight. Even some of the least expensive fish finders and GPS devices for boats, for example, are readable in strong, direct sunlight. Even the thinness of the newest smartphones isn't that appealing. I like a phone I can hold onto, so I put an Otterbox Defender on my iPhone 5.

I'm really disappointed in the failure of the switch.

It isn't as if there is something better out there from another manufacturer. All the smartphones I've seen are eminently disposable.

:mad:

17. LithePanther macrumors 6502

You are not the average consumer. Therefore, they don't care about you. It's business.

18. maxosx macrumors 68020

For the uninformed, here's a small partial list of threads about the well known problem Apple has with home buttons.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1177606
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=564711
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1189497
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1379873
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1367393
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1292230
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1219453

Got proof?

19. hakr100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why? Because I want a sturdier smartphone that works better as a phone? :D

20. LithePanther macrumors 6502

Yes. People who buy smartphones are not looking for phones. They're looking for devices that they can do everything with that also happen to make calls on the 5% of the time you're actually making a call on a phone.

Would they mind sturdier? No. But they don't want sturdiness when they lose the light and thinness that the majority wants (and you can tell the majority want it because the phones that advertise as light and thin sell more then those who a. don't advertise as light and thin or b. are advertises as sturdy and for working people).

So you're not the average customer.

----------

Was i talking to you? No. Butt out.

21. hakr100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I thought the iPhone4/4S was light enough and thin enough. At some point lightness and thinness pushes a device over the edge towards unacceptable fragility. That's why I have a big, clunky Otterbox Defender case on my iPhone 5. I like the iPhone5, but I see ways it could be a much better phone, and one more able to stand up to a bit of abuse the vagaries of life present.

But, as you and others have pointed out, the smartphone marketplace serves mainly those who want skinny phones that are the jacks of all trades, but, in reality, the masters of none.

22. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

23. labman, May 19, 2013
    Last edited: May 19, 2013

labman macrumors 604

labman

Apple is still good on their warranty they just repaired my daughters mac book pro 6 months after the warranty our cost was $0. I know of no other company that will do that.