iPhone 5 Power Button Repair

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by adster, Jul 7, 2013.

1. adster macrumors regular

Hey everyone. I've had an iPhone 5 Verizon since launch and within the last week or so my power button is failing, especially on the right side. Now I've read countless threads of this happening and the best solution is to get a replacement at the Apple store.

My dilemma is that I use my jailbreak on my iP5 and if I get a replacement that will be gone permanently. So because of that, I would like to know how to repair this issue. I've been reading up on ifixit and know its most likely a cable that's failing.

Has anyone dine the repair yourself? What exactly was the issue?

Thanks!

2. stigzy macrumors member

Hi!

I have been replacing some power cables on the iPhone 5. I do run an business where i fix iPhones, so I do it a lot. Just use an iFixit or YouTube guide to show you, and take you time if your not used to it. You will find it quite easy to do actually :)

Good luck with the repair!

3. adster thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your reply! I've done some repairs on older iPhones so I'm fairly comfortable with trying this myself. So you say the audio control / power button cable will most likely fix the issue? Is there a place I should buy the part over any others? I see them on eBay all day long for $5 or so or this one from Amazon with a kit:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DGC3N1M/

Again, thanks for your reply :)

4. stigzy macrumors member

The kit you found on Amazon is just what you need. I usually shop on eBay, but thats just me :) I am definitive that this will fix you problem. Please say how it went if you're going to fix it!

Have a good day!

5. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

Waiting for him to reply saying his screen suddenly doesn't work anymore

6. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Just be aware that if you mess it up, your warranty is void. Have you thought of sending it off to a reputable repairer who will not wipe your jailbreak?

Personally I'd trade the jailbreak in for a nice new phone, but good luck :)

7. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

AGreed! I will take a fully working phone any day over a JB:p

8. adster thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, you guys are so harsh! :p

I've done iPhone repairs before, but basics like screen and home button repairs. I was moreso asking if there was a difference in quality with the power flex cable from vendor to vendor. I know some "OEM 4S Screens" looked bad and didn't fit right and was curious is the quality was the same with these cables.

I'll report back tho, I promise! hah

9. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

What jailbreak tweak do you use that you need very bad? Maybe ios 7 has that feature and you can get a new iPhone 5 and then install ios 7? Also by looking at the evad3rs tweets, they have good chance of making ios 7 jail break

10. ransofeb macrumors newbie

it was moreso asking if there was a difference in quality with the power flex cable from vendor to vendor.[​IMG]

11. MistahMumford macrumors 6502

MistahMumford

I too have a power button that's failing on the right side. I hear it clicking but it doesn't lock my phone. Kinda disappointing that it's happening since I got this phone new in December. I still have some of my one year warranty remaining so I think I'll just go to the Apple store.

12. Angel841 macrumors member

I had the same problem. But I had the iphone replaced. And with ios7 I dont need anymore the jailbreak. The only tweak I was using was nc settings.

13. Jason B macrumors regular

I need some help. I got a new power button volume button cable off eBay, OEM Apple. I replaced it following the guide on Ifixit, and now my power doesn't work and either volume button doesnt work. Before I did this, the power button would work, oy if you pressed it on the left side, the the low volume button would work, but the up volume button would. Now nothing works with any of these buttons with the new cable. Likes its dead. It's all back together now I don't know what to do. Is there something I should look for if I take it back apart?

14. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I'm in the unique situation of having AppleCare+ and actually hoping my power button or home button fails so I can get a new phone near the end of my warranty period.

Knowing my luck I doubt it's going to happen though. :)

15. Charadis macrumors 6502a

It sounds like your flex cable may not be connected to your motherboard, since the volume/power/vibrate functions are integrated on this one part. Check to make sure that you attached the connector to the board; it seems like a step that can be easily overlooked. I've circled the connector in red on both pics, and compared the new one I installed to the old one that was removed from the phone that I worked on. Let me know if that solved your problem, or you might have a defective cable.

Attached Files: