iPhone 5 Power Button Replacing Help

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by richaye, Nov 19, 2013.

1. richaye macrumors newbie

I'm new to replacing parts on iPhones and currently need to replace my Power Button for my White iPhone 5 as it no longer works.

I was wondering if you guys could link me to what I would need to replace to get the Power Button working again from Amazon, hell even eBay.

Considering Apple charges a butt load of cash to have it repaired, and local repair shops around here charge about $50. I'd rather do it my self and learn a thing or two. I repair/build PC's often so I'd be a quick learner.

Currently everything works fine except for my Power Button, no matter what angle or pressure I use to press it. The home, silent, volume buttons all work fine, just the pesky Power Button that went to crap and no longer works. It still clicks but it does nothing.

I was reading & watching videos online on how to get it fixed but I'm not sure if I only need to replace the button of the whole "flex cable"? I'm not sure if that's what it's called. My guess would be I'd need to replace the whole cable considering the button does click, but the phone does not respond back.

iPhone 5 White 16GB

Thanks in advance!

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

you need the flex cable. and if i were to have this problem, i would buy it from ifixit.com, they are about $25. im kinda biased towards them since they are a reputable, US seller. i would personally not purchase parts from amazon or ebay as they are usually shipped from hong kong or china. good luck with customer service should the part not work, be incorrect or need to be returned.

3. richaye thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info.

So I would not need to replace the button, correct?

----------

Would this be the part that I need to replace?

http://www.ifixit.com/iPhone-Parts/iPhone-5-Audio-Control-and-Power-Button-Cable/IF118-011

4. thegreati macrumors regular

This is not by any means an easy repair. Getting a local/online shop to do the repair for you for around $50 is a great option and will not effect the phones functionality as long as you are going with a reputable shop.

This is one option for you : http://www.repairzoom.com/iphone-repair.html

Best of Luck!

5. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

6. richaye thread starter macrumors newbie

Quick update!

Went to the apple store and was lucky enough to get a new replacement iPhone 5! :D